Owners & Techs Weigh In - Intel P45: CRAPset or CHIPset?

BIOS Questions that don't belong in the other forums. Read them!
GeoNOregon
New visitors - please read the rules.

Intel P45: CRAPset or CHIPset?

I'm going into the third month of trying to get a P45 chipset MB motherboard stable enough to install an OS. I'm trying to decide whether to RMA the board for the 2nd time or get a refund and go with a different chipset MB.

Throughout this entire period, (except when testing other BIOS configurations), I have kept the BIOS settings to the fewest options possible, (a specific setting I did choose was Spread Spectrum, disabled, in the memory settings). During testing, I tried auto settings for the memory, I tried different manual timing and speed settings. I tried fail-safe AND and optimized defaults.

The first board, with nothing other than memory and a video card installed (booting from a USB mem stick to DOS), wasn't stable enough to flash the BIOS, (I was getting erratic recognition of the memory by the BIOS). The Q9550 needed the newest BIOS, so the board went back.

The second board was stable enough to flash the BIOS, but ONLY with either stick of the OCZ memory installed, NOT with both sticks installed.

MB tech said flashing would solve the mem problems. It didn't.

OCZ tech told me to put each stick in a separate channel, (single channel mode). After that, the system would boot to DOS in single channel mode, NOT in dual channel mode.

As soon as I connected the DVD and HD to install an OS, the board began a three boot and fail routine. The error message from the BIOS was "previous overclocking failed" & "press any key except DEL to enter BIOS". The screen showed the CPU settings were at factory default, so I assume the BIOS is referring to OC'ing the memory.

I tried various memory settings, auto and manual, reset the BIOS numerous times, even tried slowing down the CPU, nothing helped. Then I got a message that the BIOS was corrupt. The BIOS asked for the USB stick with the backup BIOS on it. I put it in, but the MB didn't find it.

I hard reset the BIOS and got back to the three pumps and dump routine, but no further. I was about to disconnect the DVD and HD to attempt going back to the successful DOS boot, when the MB died - it fails to respond, at all.

I have tested the PS, CPU, eVGA on a different MB :: all OK. I got the Kingston memory after the 2nd board died, so I couldn't swap-test the OCZ and don't have a board that will accept the OCZ memory.

==================================
Here's why I ask the question, 'crapset or chipset':

1. I've read dozens of problems with P45 based MB's with memory, MSI, DFI, Asus, Gigabyte. It seems to be more chipset than MB brand, IMO.

2. As you may or may not know, but the chipset was originally delayed last year due to "problems over compatibility between the chipset's PCI Express x16 port and graphics cards".
source:
Tm's Hardware
news
intel-delay-p45-chipset-mid-june,5107

3. I also found numerous reports by users of problems with P45 based MB's ANYTIME the USB configuration is changed. In other words, if a USB device is unplugged or plugged in, there's problems. The reports say the affected persons have to clear the BIOS in order to get the MB to boot.

--------------------

So,

Is the P45 chipset a piece of crap? Or is it a solid chipset worth purchasing?

At this point, I just can't decide whether to get another P45 MB or go with a different chipset.

Looking forward to hearing from all who OWN or have BUILT a P45 system.

Thanks, in advance,

GeoD

Here's the list of components:

Rosewill PSU RG530-2 530W
MSI P45 PLATINUM 775
eVGA - 8600GT 256M
INTEL Q9550 2.83 mHz - 12M
WD 80G 8M SATA2 WD800JD
RAID - pair of WD 640G SATA2 WD6401AALS
OCZ - 1Gx2 OCZ2F10662GK
(I exchanged the OCZ for: Kingston HyperX 1Gx2 KHX6400D2K2/2G (800 mHz))
Denniss
BIOS Guru

The chipset should be fine although it might have problems in some areas.

Your problems sound like a crappy PSU (never heard of Rosewill, seems to be a rebrander) or crappy memory - remember the OC-Kiddy RAM needs more voltage to achieve it's promised performance. OCZ is known for using excessive overvoltage, Kingston is not really better with their Hyper-X stuff.

Sometimes it helped to up the northbridge volatage a little.

Your motherboard should have a hardware monitor section - please report any voltage not within 5% of the rated value. If temps rise very quick in Bios then it might be a cooling problem.
GeoNOregon
New visitors - please read the rules.

Thanks for the info on the settings, but I've heard and tried them already. Besides, the MB is dead, about to be buried.

"chipset should be all right"

I agree, it SHOULD. But tell that to the hundreds of people who are having consistently similar problems across different brands. I'm not as deep into this stuff, anymore, but I've seen similar trends before with hardware and software, and it usually comes back to a problem at creation.

Sometimes the problems are widespread and get immediate attention, like the Pentium problem with the decimal point or what ever it was. Intel KNEW about that problem, did a half-assed job fixing it and released the chips, anyway, hoping no one would notice. Boy, were they wrong.

I agree about the OCZ, I'll be the first to say it, any where, OCZ's deceptive trade practices regarding their 'fake' 1066 memory, (and any other manufacturer that doesn't disclose that info), will become a class action law suit in the next few years, as it should. It's disgusting business practices.

I've used Kingston memory for a long time with NEVER a problem. They were my only supplier of laptop memory for over ten years, and when ever my OEM supplier didn't have what I needed I went to Kingston for desktop and server memory.

Even though Kingston makes some 'fake', OC'd from the factory memory, at least they tell the consumer, upfront. OCZ does not.

So, do you have or have you built any P45 boards?

later,

GeoD
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

Get Crucial memory, a decent branded power supply and start from there. It's no use blaming everything on the motherboard if you abuse it with el cheapo stuff to begin with. You get what you pay for, plain and simple.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...