*POLL* - Serial Port Mouse vs. USB Mouse

BIOS Questions that don't belong in the other forums. Read them!
KachiWachi
The New Guy

Which would you use and why?

I'm trying to pick up some free IRQ's in the DFI for the move to W2K Professional. Any reason I should stick with the current Logitech Serial Port Mouse?

The board does not have PS/2.

Thanks for commenting.
soupy
Absentee administrator

USB. The refresh rate on serial sucks. Plus, you can kill your serial and parallel ports to free up more IRQs.
Flash your BIOS at your own risk.
ajzchips
El cheapo dude

It's quite indifferent to me. I'd personally go for a PS/2 mouse, but it isn't an option in your case.
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

In your case, on a board without PS/2, I would personally stick with a serial port mouse. But that is just me.

I tend to go like this:

On a pre-AXT system (typically Socket 7 and prior to) I like to use serial mice. I don't like the idea of running cables from mainboard ports or adding cards to provide USB or PS/2 ports.

On ATX, where board mounted ports usually show directly at the rear, I have tended to opt for PS/2 in the past but am now favouring USB. But on systems where the usage of USB ports is likely to fill what is available, I might prefer to use a PS/2 mouse rather than try to install additional cards or an external hub.

Basically, I try to use the available ports in terms of what I think the board is designed to provide in this way. And with Windows running a system like this with combinations of PCI sound, PCI network, PCI modem, PCI or AGP VGA, and trying to avoid ISA (especially non-PnP) I find that commonly used BIOS settings and Windows managing it's own resources doesn't give me problems with resource conflicts.

And, with DFI, are you referring to the manufacturer or DFI hardware? If so, be careful - I have found DFI mainboards and network cards to be terribly unreliable in the past, although I have heard that they may have improved now.
KachiWachi
The New Guy

Oops...I made an error... :oops:

The board DOES have PS/2, but I don't have the cable/bracket assembly to get it off the motherboard and to the outside world.

Thoughts again?

PS to Ritchie - See my signature for info on my motherboard.
Rainbow
The UniFlasher

Many AT Socket 7 boards have PS/2 headers, but the pinouts are often undocumented. However it's easy to determine the pinout. Using ohmmeter, find 5V and GND pins on the header. Connect these to the PS/2 connector. There should be 2 remaining pins in the header - one of them is clock and the other data. Simply try connecting them one way. If the mouse does not work, swap them. Sometimes, there's one more pin that is not connected at all.
Patched and tested BIOSes are at http://wims.rainbow-software.org
UniFlash - Flash anything anywhere
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

KachiWachi - Thanks for the link regarding your board.

What Rainbow describes is why I tend to avoid PS/2 on Socket 7 boards. Sometimes users will go inside machines and change things around - if they upset these header connections they are left without a mouse. On an ATX system the PS/2 ports cannot be upset in this manner.
KachiWachi
The New Guy

My problem is I don't have, and can't find, a cable/bracket assembly locally. :cry:

Plenty of USB ones though... :?

Guess I'll just have to keep looking (in the trash...lol!!). :roll:
Rainbow
The UniFlasher

I haven't seen that too - so I used PC Chips ATX Form Card. I left the IrDA connector disconnected and wired the PS/2 and USB ports. Works fine with PC Partner TXB820DS (and the PS/2 worked before on MSI MS-5120 - no USB because this board does not have USB).
Patched and tested BIOSes are at http://wims.rainbow-software.org
UniFlash - Flash anything anywhere
KachiWachi
The New Guy

Hmmm...

My board DOES have IrDA and on-board USB, though I always had problems with the USB and my webcam. I purchased a USB/Firewire card to fix that problem. ;)

I don't need the Form Factor Card part...but those ARE around...so I'll look into see if I can utilize one. I guess those can be re-wired to suit??

I have the motherboard manual, so the pinout won't be a problem.