seagate 500gb hard drive..my pc couldn't recognized..

BIOS Questions that don't belong in the other forums. Read them!
jtrinidadph
New visitors - please read the rules.

hi..anybody who can help me on this..i bought an internal seagate hard drive 500gb and also an external SATA enclosure. It's supposed to be PnP, unfortunately, my pc couldn't recognized it when I tried to open my "my computer" folder. Is there any additional driver or software that I need to install to be able for my pc to recognize my external hard drive...thanks..jtrinidadph :( . I'm not very much familar with computer..
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

if you bought a bare drive and put it in the enclosure it still needs to be partitioned and formatted first.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
jtrinidadph

thanks for the reply..2nd question..how do I format and partition the hard drive if I don't see it in my folder. You're supposed to see an icon popping up that tells you the pc is reading your hard drive.
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

jtrinidadph wrote:thanks for the reply..2nd question..how do I format and partition the hard drive if I don't see it in my folder. You're supposed to see an icon popping up that tells you the pc is reading your hard drive.
What OS are you using?
Tested patched BIOSes. Untested patched BIOSes.
Emails *will* be ignored unless the subject line starts "Wim's BIOS forum"
jtrinidadph

im using Windows XP...thank you :)
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

Sorry for the delay - I guess you're using XP Home, which I don't have access to today as I'm using XP Professional at work.

Do you get a noise ("bloo-bloop") when you plug the case into the USB port? If not, check in Device Manager. Assuming you're using the default Control Panel setup:
1. Click Start, click Control Panel, click Performance and Maintenance, and then click System.
2. On the Hardware tab, click Device Manager.
3. Click View, click Devices by connection
4. Find and expand the USB2.0 Enhanced Host Controller (EHC). If your device is detected, you should see USB Hub --> USB Mass Storage Device --> your drive.

If the drive is there, then maybe it needs to be prepared. Back in the "Performance and maintenance" window click on "Administrative tools", click "Computer management" and select "Disk management" from the menu tree in the new window. Does the drive appear in the right-hand pane?
Tested patched BIOSes. Untested patched BIOSes.
Emails *will* be ignored unless the subject line starts "Wim's BIOS forum"