SLOW COMPUTER AND CD-ROM WON"T WORK

BIOS Questions that don't belong in the other forums. Read them!
RICEROCKET
New visitors - please read the rules.

I have a PI 686 with a Award Modular Bios v4.51 PG 10/18/96-i430VX-10031996C-00 and a Intel Triton 430VX rev2 chipset. My problem is that before I installed my CD-RW my Creative Cd-rom 24X mx was working perfectly. When I installed the CD-RW the CD-ROM quit..so I uninstalled the CD-RW.....When I uninstalled it, the CD-ROM drive still didn't work...I've tried everything to get it working again. I've uninstalled and reinstalled it and it still doesn't wanna work. I've noticed that the device manager say that This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31). But Windows automatically loads the drivers in Windows 2000...I've tried to load the drivers from the disc but the disc has programs for windows 95. I installed them anyways but Windows 2000 won't use them....HELP!!!

What am I doing wrong?

Another problem i'm having is that the computer slowed down....it's supposed to have a 512 cache.....the computer seems to make grinding sounds as it processes requests and it evenually gets it done....It never used to be this slow....

How can I fix this? Bios upgrade????
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

The 24x was working fine under Windows 2000 ?
If it wasn't Windows 2000 my first reaction would have been to check whether there were DOS-mode drivers installed which have now been commented out of the config.sys, but I don't think that holds wor W2K
Tested patched BIOSes. Untested patched BIOSes.
Emails *will* be ignored unless the subject line starts "Wim's BIOS forum"
RICEROCKET

When I got this computer it had Windows 95 and then i upgraded to windows 98 when windows 98 first came out and then to Windows 2000 after ....it was working fine until i tried to install a CD-RW ...once I discovered that neither would work...I uninstalled the CD-RW....

So how would I get it to work with what you were saying?
soupy
Absentee administrator

Try a fresh install.
Flash your BIOS at your own risk.
RICEROCKET

I 've uninstalled the CD-ROM and physically unplugged and removed the drivers....but it still loads the Windows 2000 drivers and not the Cd-ROm drivers...I was reading the driver disc readme file...it says windows 95 and dos....how to load for that operating system....
soupy
Absentee administrator

You SHOULD be using the Windows 2000 drivers.
RICEROCKET

I just uninstalled the CD-ROM and installed it again with Windows 2000 drivers and it gave me this message with This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)
soupy
Absentee administrator

Try a fresh install.
RICEROCKET

I've tried a fresh install and still nothing
KachiWachi
The New Guy

Fresh Install = Reformat the disk and install the OS and applications from scratch