Sound card not installing drivers - Bios problem?

BIOS Questions that don't belong in the other forums. Read them!
rogerP
New visitors - please read the rules.

I've recently reinstalled Win98se and managed to install the graphics drivers, but I can't get the sound drivers to work using the original Time install disk.

A friend helping me said I needed to get into the Bios to change a setting or something similar - can't quite remember. The problem is that the Bios is password-protected so I have no way of getting into it.

Any ideas please? I'm not that computer literate, so layman's terms would be appreciated. :oops:

Thanks in advance.
Denniss
BIOS Guru

Do they not work or do they not even install ?

Have you fully updated your Win98SE using Windows Update ?
Latest DirectX9 installed ?
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

Is it still the original Time-installed soundcard or was it replaced afterwards?
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
rogerP
New visitors - please read the rules.

First off, many thanks fr your replies.
Denniss wrote:Do they not work or do they not even install ?

Have you fully updated your Win98SE using Windows Update ?
Latest DirectX9 installed ?
They install but they don't seem to work. Win 98SE has all the updates. Direct X won't install because the sound driver won't install/fails to recognise.

edwin wrote:Is it still the original Time-installed soundcard or was it replaced afterwards?
I installed the 'Intel Chipset Series Mainboard Utility CD' that came with the computer after reinstalling 98 SE and it didn't seem to do anything. It states there are audio drivers on the CD but they don't seem to do anything.

Thanks in advance.
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

I think you have either a driver issue or a BIOS issue as your friend suggested.

The driver issue I would agree to that being the same as what others are suggesting, that you are simply having difficulties finding the correct driver for your card and that version of Windows.

The BIOS issue could be that the audio is not enabled in the BIOS. However this is more likely to be an issue if the audio chip is on the mainboard. If device manager under Windows is showing devices that appear to be for the audio card then I think you probably do not have a BIOS issue.

Also keep in mind that your time install disk may require a manual driver installation - there might not be a setup program that does all the work for you.

Hope I have been of some help.