USB thread hijack

BIOS Questions that don't belong in the other forums. Read them!
jimmyrabbit
New visitors - please read the rules.

Also have a USB problem.I purchased a webcam(Creative) and am having much difficulty getting it to work. Had to install an ADS USB port in PCI slot. Windows98 advised no IRQ assigned. Played with CMOS and enabled USB for DOS and windows in Advanced Chipset. Camera still does not work-most of the time screen black or image very slow and unviewable.
Thanks to this sight able to find out my board is a PC Chips M717.
Bios (AMI) date is 07/15/95.
Question: Do i need to upgrade Bios or is there something else I need to enable in Bios.
Please advise-thanks
:roll:
Denniss
BIOS Guru

With USB Add-In card disable motherboard USB in Bios to avoid problems !
jimmyrabbit

Not sure whose prob deniss and kachi replied to.
My processor speed is 333
KachiWachi
The New Guy

At 333 MHz, cam should work.

Does your board have "functional" USB ports on it, or is that why you installed the card? I don't know if you can have both enabled on the system at the same time...perhaps that is why there was no Interupt assigned. That may be your problem there...as Denniss suggested.

I'm assuming you installed the cam properly...

Device Manager shows both a USB Host Controller and a Root Hub? I would think with no IRQ, there should be a "yellow bang" on the Controller...

Win98 or SE...and did you install the USB package?
jimmyrabbit

Kachi,
I am running windows 98:
-yes i installed the cam and software as per the imstructions
-once I enabled USB in the advanced chipset then the Device Manager reported no problems with the USB controller. Camera still did not function.
- there is also a USB root hub and is detected by the device manager.
- I also installed the USB package and Win 98 installed the driver.
jimmyrabbit

Kachi,
Sorry forgot- also there were no USB connections originallyand that is why I installed the card.
KachiWachi
The New Guy

OK...well for sure turn off the BIOS USB...I think your board uses an ATX card for that, if you had one installed.

When you power on the camera... is it recognized as an "Imaging Device" in the Device Manager, and also in the USB Controllers section?

Does the camera website list any difficulties with your chipset/motherboard, or in a Read Me file on the CD?
jimmyrabbit

Kachi,
Yes the device manager recognizes the camera as an imaging device. However,when I click on the properties tab for the camera it tells me the status a unavailable and deos not give me the option to test the camera.
I have not as yet checked the webset of the camera for more info but I will.
A readme file says to try slowing down the graphics acceleration, this did not solve the problem. Neither did adjusting the camera's settings.
It also said to check the device manager for resource conflicts - I did not see anything.
The system information check in Win98 tells me I have no devices with any problems.
KachiWachi
The New Guy

See what Creative has to say about it...

My cam (Logitech Traveler) used to do that, but my CPU was too slow at the time, so I expected it. Now if I can just get it not to trip the bus... :x

Does the image get faster if you drop the resolution...like from 640*480 to 320*240 or 160*120? I would think you should be able to run at 640*480 and be OK... Does this happen in the camera's software package, or in anothers (like NetMeeting/Yahoo!, if you have tried them)?

Does the device also show under the USB Controllers as well as an Imaging Device, and does it have the correct name?

Perhaps contact the USB card's manufacturer, as it may have problems with your specific camera.

I'm guessing that this is your only USB device... so you can't tell me if other devices work there...

Have you tried checking out the USBMan website? Lots of USB info there... http://www.usbman.com . You might be able to find something there. Please let me know.