What is in the BIOS file

BIOS Questions that don't belong in the other forums. Read them!
jkchiefs
New visitors - please read the rules.

What information is in the BIOS file? Does it have a list of Chipset and controllers that is will work with along with motherboard information? How does a external hub controller get recognized and installed into windows? is it in a list in the BIOS? I am working with a device that is not recognized in windows when it is plugged in and need to know what makes windows recognize a new device to install.
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

it gets listed in the devices in the bios where the operating system will try and load a driver file for it depending on the device ID. If it is not recognized you need to load a driver set from the manufacturer, most likely on the CD that came with the device or from the website of the manufacturer.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
jkchiefs
New visitors - please read the rules.

Thank you for your help. I am hooking up a port rep and it is not recognized in windows. i am trying to figure out what would cause this and how it all works. So to my understanding it should have a driver installed that will help windows recognize the port rep? Would the driver file be looking for the i/o hub on the computer?
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

what is the make and model of the port rep? With that info we might be able to give you a download location for the driver file.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...