Windows bootup problems

BIOS Questions that don't belong in the other forums. Read them!
Vincyman
New visitors - please read the rules.

Even though I repeatedly set my boot up sequence in my BIOS settings to 1) removeable disk 2) CD-ROM 3) Hard Disk, when my pc boots up it repeatedly checks the CD-ROM first and not the floppy disk and freezes. I also set the "default settings and exit" to no avail. I have to "Press F1 to continue" with the boot up process each time. I have a Compaq 7000T RPM11 1.7ghz and WinME. The Compaq ROM Update BIOS fix doesn't correct the problem. Any suggestions? Desperate.
KachiWachi
The New Guy

Two things come to mind, not being familliar with a Compaq.

1) Is your CMOS Battery good? (IE: does the system forget after you turn it off?)

2) When you change your settings, are you then selecting "default settings and exit" or was that a seperate example? Default settings may change the boot order that you just changed. Select a choice that indicates just saving and exiting.

Workaround: If you don't need to boot that way every time, set HD first...then, when you need to, enter the BIOS and change the settings to boot off the chosen device for testing, etc...
Denniss
BIOS Guru

Isn't there a "Floppy" or "FDD" or "Diskette" selectable as first boot device ?

Removal Disk is not used to boot from Floppy drive
KachiWachi
The New Guy

I was assuming that's what he meant by "Removable", since some peoples English here may not be correct...

But you could be right, if he has a setting for that...