Windows 95 Hang

BIOS Questions that don't belong in the other forums. Read them!
Sivasakthi
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hi All,

I am using 815 chipset in my computer. The processor I am having is Pentium Pro 350 Mhz Processor. Actually When I am playing freecell or Hearts ( Windows Game) , Machine freezes. No mouse movement occurs. Keyboard is not working. I have to restart the machine.

:( I have disabled the external cache. I have disable the USB support and tried. Samething is happening again.

I have changed several BIOS settings. No improvement on the work. The probelm occurs only when I play freecell or hearts.

I suspect the mouse setup. The mouse is connected on the serial port.

Any of you, Have you ever faced this problem. Please give me a solution.

I am using Windows 95 OS and System memory is 32 MB.
soupy
Absentee administrator

An i815 chipset, with a PPro CPU, a serial mouse, and Win95?

First, double-check your chipset. You don't have an i815 and a PPro.

Second, the PPro stopped at 233Mhz, IIRC. You don't have a PPro.

Third, use a PS/2 mouse.

Fourth, Win95...c'mon...
Flash your BIOS at your own risk.
Joe
Chip off the ol' block

Why are you jumping to the conclusion that it's a BIOS issue? Did you try to run these games in safeMode?

Rule out the possibility of a software issue rarther than a hardware issue. Verify that you have the proper video drivers as well.. Go into My Computer/Properties/Performance/Graphics and slow down hardware acceleration..

Check RAM.. ect ect ect

Joe
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

Windows 95 won't detect your chipset properly, you need to install drivers for that. They are probably on the CD that came with your motherboard.
Sivasakthi
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hi All,

1. I am having Pentium Pro Processor only. I have verified with this device manager of windows 95.

2. I am using a offboard SIS VGA. I have installed proper driver for that.

3. I have installed driver for motherboard resources.

Now I have changed to PS/2 mouse. I have played two games without any disturbance. I beleive the problem is solved. Anyway I will get back to you all after one week.

Can you please explain what are the differences between PS/2 mouse and Serial mouse in view of Software and in view of hardware.

Thank you for your help,
Sivasakthivel
Rainbow
The UniFlasher

Windows 95 can't show CPU higher than Pentium Pro because this was the latest CPU available when Windows 95 was released. I recommend to use at least Windows 98 SE on that computer.
Patched and tested BIOSes are at http://wims.rainbow-software.org
UniFlash - Flash anything anywhere