Search found 22 matches

by Great
Wed Oct 15, 2003 12:07 am
Forum: RAM compatibility with BIOS
Topic: How to install new RAM successfully??
Replies: 2
Views: 7288

How to install new RAM successfully??

What IS the right way to go about installing new RAM and how do you ensure you buy the right RAM and not have your computer do funny things after upgrading?
by Great
Tue Oct 14, 2003 3:09 pm
Forum: What is my motherboard?
Topic: PC CHIPS M810??? I don't understand - help please!!!!!
Replies: 11
Views: 2939

The problem is...

I don't want to screw up my PC by flashing the wrong BIOS version because there are so many different types of M810, that's all. I just want to point out again that if they change the specifications of a motherboard, I think they should change the model number (in this case, change M810 to M811, M81...
by Great
Sun Oct 12, 2003 10:40 pm

Impossible to identify

Looked near the keyboard connector and can't see nothing. Why do they have to use revision numbers - I think motherboard makers *SHOULD* change the model number every time they make a change to the board and sell it! :evil: What do you think? Surely it would make life *SO* much easier if they did it...
by Great
Sun Sep 21, 2003 10:35 pm

Update

Enabling ACPI in the Power Management part of the BIOS, NOT APM/ACPI and THEN installing Windows XP has done the trick, however there's no option for Standby in XP, but you can't have it all in life lol. :roll: Most importantly, the monitor and hard drives turn off when I want them to, which is impo...
by Great
Thu Sep 18, 2003 2:57 am

PC CHIPS M810??? I don't understand - help please!!!!!

62-0914-001437-00101111-071595-sis730S-M810LR-H Revision number???? I know there are many revisions of the PC CHIPS M810 and I need to know which model/revision I own so I can get the CORRECT BIOS and driver updates. I have two more questions: 1) Why does Windows XP install the ACPI stuff but none o...
by Great
Mon Feb 10, 2003 9:28 pm
Forum: Video (VGA) and other BIOS/Firmware
Topic: Can somebody help? 5AGM2 board and S3 Savage 4 (chip 8A22)
Replies: 3
Views: 2655

Last resort

Thanks for your reply Soupy. There are no Windows XP drivers except the ones that came on the Windows XP CD which install the drivers automatically during Windows XP Setup. My only hope maybe is to flash the card's firmware if possible. Has anyone else had problems with 3D graphics etc with this car...
by Great
Mon Feb 10, 2003 4:00 am
Forum: Video (VGA) and other BIOS/Firmware
Topic: Can somebody help? 5AGM2 board and S3 Savage 4 (chip 8A22)
Views: 2655

Can somebody help? 5AGM2 board and S3 Savage 4 (chip 8A22)

Hi When I run Direct X Diagnostics 9 on Windows XP Pro, the spinning cube has blank sides when it shouldn't (it also happened on Direct X 8.1). I have the latest BIOS for my Chaintech 5AGM2 motherboard, but I can't find a firmware update for the S3 Savage 4 (chip 8A22) graphics card, (I don't even k...
by Great
Sun Nov 17, 2002 5:12 am
Forum: In-depth High-tech BIOS section
Topic: Can this be done..?
Replies: 2
Views: 2346

Can this be done..?

Can you use one brand of BIOS flasher to flash a BIOS of another brand? For example: could you flash a file into an Award BIOS using the AMI flasher?

Off the record now... does anyone know anything about RISC OS ROM's?
by Great
Sat Nov 16, 2002 10:58 pm
Forum: Power Management problems
Topic: Chaintech 5AGM2 - APM probem NOT fixed by latest BIOS.
Replies: 1
Views: 4479

Chaintech 5AGM2 - APM probem NOT fixed by latest BIOS.

Hi I have the latest BIOS version (2 November 1999) for my Chaintech 5AGM2 board and I still can't use APM in Windows XP. If I try to enable it via the Power Options in the Control Panel, I get a stop-error on shut-down or restart that disappears too quickly for me to see (I've turned off the option...
by Great
Fri Nov 15, 2002 5:45 am
Forum: What does this BIOS or Jumper setting do?
Topic: Spread Spectrum?
Views: 8686

Spread Spectrum?

There is a setting called 'Spread Spectrum' in the BIOS; does anyone know what it means and would I benefit from enabling it?

Also, does anyone know where to find a BIOS update for the S3 Savage 4 AGP card?
by Great
Fri Nov 15, 2002 5:33 am
Forum: General BIOS Questions
Topic: PCI cards malfunctioning after BIOS update. HELP PLEASE.
Views: 2162

Working again!

Thanks for helping me.

I've re-formatted and re-installed Windows and everything is okay. Maybe others could learn a lesson here: you may need to re-format and re-install Windows if the computer's hardware does funny things after flashing the BIOS!
by Great
Wed Nov 13, 2002 7:41 pm

I tried the LATEST version (2 November 1999)

Just so you know, I tried the LATEST version available for download. Is there anything unique about this model of mainboard I need to know, like having different revisions? I really can't see why updating the BIOS to a newer version causes problems with PCI cards. Should I have used switches when ru...
by Great
Wed Nov 13, 2002 5:23 pm

PCI cards malfunctioning after BIOS update. HELP PLEASE.

Please could someone help me. I updated the BIOS on a Chaintech 5AGM2 motherboard to the latest version. I formatted the C: drive and installed Windows ME. The network card doesn't work, even though Windows detected it and put the drivers on. I tried to install the drivers for my sound card, Creativ...
by Great
Mon Jul 29, 2002 1:06 am
Topic: Enable BIOS caching/shadowing?
Replies: 8
Views: 4952

Enable BIOS caching/shadowing?

When using an NT-based version of Windows (i.e Windows NT/2000/XP), is it a good idea to enable 'System BIOS Cacheable' or similar setting that copies the BIOS into RAM? Please tell me all you know about this.

Thanks.
by Great
Fri Jul 19, 2002 5:01 am
Topic: Two BIOS dates?
Replies: 1
Views: 1494

Two BIOS dates?

Why do TWO BIOS dates exist, even when the BIOS is never updated? Some programs show the newer date and some show the older date of the SAME BIOS! I even flash-updated my BIOS and even though the date and version number changed - as shown during POST, the old date is STILL shown exactly the same in ...