120GB: 11/04/98-Firestar-2A5UQC29C-00 v.1.35

BIOS update, EIDE card, or overlay software? (FAQ Hard disk recognition)
Stefan.de
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hallo,

I´ve got an old but reliable, silent and current saving laptop, once manufactores by Cicony ( M983 with Tillamook-CPU), which shall be used as File server in our small home network (with Linux + Samba). So it should be able to use 1 or 2 120 GB HDs.

It has an Award modular BIOS v4.51PG, that identyfies as 11/04/1998-Firestar-2A5UQC29C-00 , OEM-Sign on v.135s, Size 256K, Opti-Chipset 82C701 rev 50, actually 127MB ram.

I´ve read out my Bios as a v1.35s.bin file and could send it anywhere.

On your excellent Bios Page, I found:

Version v1.43d.bin with 128 GB-Patch
Version v1.43d-R1.bin, Features unknown
Version V1.46s.bin with 64 GB-Patch

Which one to use? What do the letters behind the release-no. mean? If the 1.4x-versions don´t match, can anybody put the patches needed into my version? What would that cost?

Another feature, that would be very helpfull for my project, would be the ability to boot on appearence of power. It is detected, because a syymbol is shown on a small LCD as long as the laptop has ext. power.

The HDs I want to use are Samsung SV1203N and are specified as follows:

Formatted Capacity = 120GB
4 Heads, 2 Disks
Ultra ATA-133 Compatible
Fluid Dynamic Bearing Spindle Motor Technology
High Speed Dual Digital Signal Processor (DSP) Based Architecture
ATA S.M.A.R.T. Compliant
ATA Security Mode Feature Set
ATA Host Protected Area Feature Set
ATA Automatic Acoustic Management Feature Set
ATA 48-bit Address Feature Set
ATA Device Configuration Overlay Feature Set.

Thank you very much for your hints in advance.

Kind regards

Stefan
ajzchips
El cheapo dude

1.46s would seem to respect your OEM ID... but you'd need it patched to support over 64GB.
BiosMan
The BIOS Patcher

Stefan,

As I understand it, there are two types of BIOSes used in the Chicony MP983 series, a type "D" and a type "S".
The latest version for both types used to be v1.43, but later an updated v1.46S appeared. The v1.43D seems to be the last version for the "D" BIOS.
I have patched both the v1.43D and v1.46S BIOS for K6+ and 128GB support.

The patched V1.46S BIOS has been succesfully tested with a 40GB drive and can be downloaded via:
http://home.hccnet.nl/j.steunebrink/V146s_j2.zip
In the zip there is a patch.txt file with information about what I've changed in the BIOS.

Please let us know how the 120GB drive(s) work.

Jan.
The Unofficial AMD K6-2+ / K6-III+ page
http://web.inter.nl.net/hcc/J.Steunebrink/k6plus.htm
Stefan.de

Hallo,

first step has been carried out succesfully, the new Bios 1.46S_J2 is working.

At first, Uniflash only saved the old Bios, the other menu options wheren´t accessible. So I searched a write protect switch or jumper on the mobo.

I could´t find any information about the DIP-swich beside the BIOS chip socket, so I tried all 4 possibilities (it´s a 2-swich unit), but Uniflash didn´t want to flash the new Bios into the chip.

Against the bad comments, I´ve read about the AWARD-Utility, I finally tried that, version AWD822a.exe. This version worked quick and fine with the DIP-swich in it´s original position. The old 4 GB hard drive C:, the CD and all other peripherals are recognized. The system runs stable under W 2000, as before.

The only changes I could recognize are:
The CPU-fan runs full speed all the time, this was more silent before.
The BIOS has a new option in the power management section: Battery training. It can be disabled or numbers up to some hundred can be choosen. Does anybody know what that is good for?

Nevertheless, many many thanks to the author of the new version!

Now I´m going to order the new HD and the conector adapter. So hopefully, I can do the next step next weekend or shortly later.

I´ll keep you on line.

Stefan

P.S. : BiosMAN, my e-mail to you came back, did you change your private email-adress? Perhaps you send me your new one to my contact you know?
Stefan.de

Hallo,

yes it was successfull, the computer runs.
No, it was not totally successfull, I can´t swich it off any longer. It does not react any longer on the On / OFF contact. When W 2000 says, that "You can switch the computer off now" I have to tear the power cord and to slip out the battery.

After reconnecting both, I can start as usual with a push on the On / OFF-Switch.

?????

Stefan
BiosMan
The BIOS Patcher

Hallo Stefan,

No, I didn't change my private e-mail address. I received your original message from 8 May 2005, but none after. :?

Good to hear the V146_J2 BIOS runs oke.
About your remarks:

I don't know why you can't switch off normally after W2K shutdown. Can you send me your original v1.35S BIOS so I can compare it to the v1.46S? Maybe there is change in the Power Management...

I believe the "battery training" option is a feature that can be used to refresh a NiCad battery by doing a number of complete charge and decharge cycles.

The continuous running fan is a known issue in all V1.4x BIOSes. It appears this is Chicony's "fix" for the overheating problems of the P233MMX, but I haven't found-out yet how they killed the cycled fan operation. So the patched BIOS will still get you a continuously running fan.
I hope to fix that in a later update.

Greetings,
Jan.
The Unofficial AMD K6-2+ / K6-III+ page
http://web.inter.nl.net/hcc/J.Steunebrink/k6plus.htm
Stefan.de

Hallo, BiosMan,

thaks a lot for your remarks.

I´ll send you the original Bios-File, perhaps you can find out both secrets, the Power-Management with the permanent running fan and the secret about the On / Off-switch, that lets me start the system but not stop.

Somewhere, I´ve read, that the fan is running according to the heat generated only in the first chicony series with a 233 MHz CPU, which I have one of. It has a very power saving "Chillamok"-CPU (a P1 MMX 233), which makes the small old box so attractive for me. Later series got 266 MHz CPUs and because they where "normal" chips, they also got the heat problems. Another strange hint is to be found in the Bios strings of my old version, where is clearly marked, that it is a preliminary version and must not be sold...

Unexpectedly, a wrong HD was delivered, so I have to return it and to order it anywhere. I fear that will take a week or so, before I can do the next steps. Further on, I´ve to learn about the different connector-Pinouts of the HD-cables, because I can´t get the right one. I fear, I have to make one by myself.

I´ll keep you on line.

Kind regards

Stefan