13GB: PCChips M754LMR

BIOS update, EIDE card, or overlay software? (FAQ Hard disk recognition)
maanse
BIOS Newbie

Hallo, I have a mainboard PCChips M754LMR.
And tryed to flash using the flashUtilitie found at the PCC site, and the problem is that at the screen showes me error2: file does not exist.
Strange, and looking for help because the file is at the floppy that is used to flash the bios.
It is a bootable 1.44 disk containing the flas Utilitie and the file 010822S.rom

i wonder what it can be that already the flastool is givven me a error, and if there is a bether tools and upgrade for my MB?

tanks,,
Maanse

Some strange thing is there to that the mab worked well on tw hdd's one 2.5 gb and an other 1.2 Gb.
And (very strange) a celeron 733 Mhz cpu.

Strange, why?
In the manual is written that the bord supports celeron up to 533 Mhz

Now that i changed the (well working) hdd comming out another pc 13Gb gives me a bleu screen.

Afterward the 13Gb HDD is put back in the original pc and again there is no prob.
Denniss
BIOS Guru

Aminf332 010822s.rom
-> This is the correct syntax to enter - change the name of the Aminf332 to the version you use

Make sure your Floppy is freshly formatted !
maanse
BIOS Newbie

thank you so mutch.
It was as you said.
The whole line (command "no exe" line and filename) should be in the command.
Again thank you.

Now as i have made the flash and entered the latest bios, there is still al small problem.
The range of the Harddisk.
Seems to belimited at 8 GB

I think it is 8 Gb can be a little more but not mutch.

I tryed a 8 Gb ( error bad clusters containing) harddisk and this is recognised, but another 13 Gb harddrive is gives a bleu screen.

All the rest is remained as before.

So, if someone can and is willing to patch this bios,,,, not only me but my 14 years old daugther would be gratefull.

regards,

Maanse
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

If the BIOS is detecting the 13GB hard disk as approx. 13GB then I would say the detections for those size drives are working fine and that what you see is what you will get for the 8GB drive.

If the 13GB drive does not show up as approx. 13GB then there is a BIOS limitation. I don't know whether an update to overcome this for your board is available.

A blue screen problem (unless shown during the BIOS) is something that comes with some Windows problems. Windows may need to be reinstalled (after backing up). It is unlikely that a BIOS update will solve or help this problem.
ajzchips
El cheapo dude

Check whether your HDD has an 8GB-limiting clip on.

Another issue is whether your HDD is detected as an 8GB HDD, or the only partition you're seeing is 8GB. You might have to run FDISK on it to verify. Try using the Win98/ME FDISK, which you can run from the bootdisks downloadable from www.bootdisk.com
maanse
BIOS Newbie

If the BIOS is detecting the 13GB hard disk as approx. 13GB then I would say the detections for those size drives are working fine and that what you see is what you will get for the 8GB drive.

This is as yoy say OK, the 8Gb is seeen as 8 in the bios and the 13 is also seeen als an 13.
If the 13GB drive does not show up as approx. 13GB then there is a BIOS limitation. I don't know whether an update to overcome this for your board is available.

witch is as told not the prob.
A blue screen problem (unless shown during the BIOS) is something that comes with some Windows problems. Windows may need to be reinstalled (after backing up). It is unlikely that a BIOS update will solve or help this problem.

here i do think also that is the prob, because every other piece of hardware is dooing fine in wathever combination i use them.

Litlle extra question, is it possible that Win XP need to be installed when building in a installed Hdrive in to an other pc,
Ussing other mainboard?

PS, Tanks for the reply,

Maanse
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

Hi Maanse

For the size disks you are using, your now current BIOS is fine. Apparently we both agree on that which is good.

For your blue screen problem, yes I would be backing up, reformatting and reinstalling. I think you agree with me on that point also. That procedure will likely solve the blue screen problem.

As to your further question, I consider it good practise to backup, reformat and reinstall whenever you change a mainboard and whenever you change operating systems (ie: including between different versions of Windows). I don't find it essential after a BIOS upgrade but still like to do it then depending on what needs to be reloaded back onto the machine.

But always backup first.

Hope this all helps.
maanse
BIOS Newbie

Check whether your HDD has an 8GB-limiting clip on.
Can't find any kind of a clip dooing this limitations, and even there was a place to put one on it, i think it was not installed, because as told the 13 Gb is dooing a great jod on an other pc.
Non wathsoever change is made when disk came out that pc and was connected to the other.
Another issue is whether your HDD is detected as an 8GB HDD, or the only partition you're seeing is 8GB. You might have to run FDISK on it to verify. Try using the Win98/ME FDISK

all works fine this way, only,when starting to install Win 98SE at the disk D: (temp disk made by setup ) controle the pc is hanging.

Its a strange strange world master Jack.
maanse
BIOS Newbie

Ritchie wrote:Hi Maanse

For the size disks you are using, your now current BIOS is fine. Apparently we both agree on that which is good.

For your blue screen problem, yes I would be backing up, reformatting and reinstalling. I think you agree with me on that point also. That procedure will likely solve the blue screen problem.

As to your further question, I consider it good practise to backup, reformat and reinstall whenever you change a mainboard and whenever you change operating systems (ie: including between different versions of Windows). I don't find it essential after a BIOS upgrade but still like to do it then depending on what needs to be reloaded back onto the machine.

Gona gif it every possible try.
You know why i'm feeling sorry?
Before when a harddrive was installed using eg win 3.1 3.11 95 and 98 whenever you needet to change system but wanted to keep the OS and records on the harddrive simply takeing out th drive and building it in the new pc was enough to continuing.
But now using XP it all changed, but not for the better.

regards and a greattanks 4 the help,

if there are still probs after next try you'll be hearing of me,

Maanse

But always backup first.

Hope this all helps.
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

Just another point on the HDD detection.

If the reported 13GB you are seeing is only a description, the full size may not be being detected. For example, you might see the brand, model and size displayed in a one line, which is only the drive sending a description of itself to the BIOS for display.

If this is what you are seeing, you need to look at other areas of the BIOS to see the actual size it detects. If you look at the details of a drive's settings in the BIOS, or run the detection routine, then this is where it might show you the detected size rather than a decription of the drive.