160GB: Asus K8VSE DELUXE

BIOS update, EIDE card, or overlay software? (FAQ Hard disk recognition)
marty757
New visitors - please read the rules.

CPU: AMD ATHLON 64 3400+
MOTHER BOARD: Asus K8VSE DELUXE; REVISION: 1.12
BIOS: AMI VERSION: 08.00.09; REVISION: 1004
HARD DRIVE: SEAGATE BARRACUDA 72002.7 160GB SATA 150 MODEL: (ST3160023AS)

HELP! This is my first build. After completion the computer booted, but did not detect my hard drive. The drive does not show up in BIOS. Everything else worked great, DVD, Floppy etc. I did a flash update to my BIOS; reset CMOS, and made a bootable CD with Seagate’s Disk Wizard for the specific drive. The disk wizard located the drive, formatted it and prepared it for an operating system, but on reboot the computer still did not recognize the hard drive! The message I continue to get is: “No drive attached to the fast track controller, the BIOS is not installed.”
I e-mailed ASUS, but they do not respond. I would appreciate any help!
[/b]
Denniss
BIOS Guru

Fasttrack is the Promise RAID-Controller - not needed for SATA

SATA is used via VIA Southbridge but I don't know how and where it should be detected - check Bios whether SATA is enabled or not
marty757
New visitors - please read the rules.

Thanks for the information.
Since I am not using raid right now I disabled it in the BIOS. That removed the first part of the message: “No drive attached to the fast track controller”. I installed an old IDE hard drive and got the system running. Windows identifies the SATA hard drive and it is functional, however it is still not recognized in BIOS and there is no place to enable it. Every time I boot I still get the message: “BIOS is not installed!” Could the BIOS be corrupt and the SATA portion is not available? Also, do you know how I can transfer everything from my IDE drive to my SATA drive, so I can boot from the SATA drive?
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

The manual from Asus's website mentions an "OnChip SATA BOOTROM" option under the Advanced menu of your BIOS Setup which can be enabled or disabled. Try enabling this and using the HDD off the mainboard's SATA port. If it works and allows 160GB, which I would think it should, you can do without the PCI controller.