160GB: MBK7S5A

BIOS update, EIDE card, or overlay software? (FAQ Hard disk recognition)
fionn
New visitors - please read the rules.

Firstly old Hdd failed.Got a new one above but bios does not see it.Bios is
Amibios of 20/09/01.Took hdd from another pc to see if it would boot
(20Gig).Sees it ok but during boot sequence Error message appears saying it has to "shutdown to protect files".Original hdd was win98 and
I want to load XP.I didnt want to update the bios as yet as I think that
the original Hdd got a power surge and this may have damaged the MB also.It gets worse I am afraid.
Installed the new 160 gig in my other pc as slave and it was detected
in device manager and I shutdown the pc and went off to see how I could format and partition it in this pc.When I restarted I keep getting a warning saying "there is a problem with your HDD" and it will not boot until I disconnect this drive.Have I damaged the new drive also?
Any advise greatly appreciated. :( :(
Denniss
BIOS Guru

You need to update your Bios to get your big HDD working - I suggest to use the HoneyX OC030327 Bios if you have a standard K7S5A (Rev 1.x/3.x) .
www.rhcf.com
IF you still use Win9x then you should no have a partition located above 128/137GB - accessing this area will cause data loss !
fionn
New visitors - please read the rules.

Updated the bios and the new HDDwas found,however could not get formatting to proceed beyond 0%.Drive has now disappeared and does no t show in bios. :? :?
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

I would go into the BIOS and try a redetection. If it shows up exit and make sure you save BIOS settings, then go and try another repartition and format.

If the drive does not detect I would try jumper settings between Sole Only, Master and Cable Select, but noting the default setting so that you can go back to it if need be.