250 GB: 01/10/2005-SIS-760-6A717A09-00

BIOS update, EIDE card, or overlay software? (FAQ Hard disk recognition)
Kazzandra
New visitors - please read the rules.

I have a new 250 GB hard drive that is not recognized by my old BIOS.
250 GB: 01/10/2005-SIS-760-6A717A09-00.
Phoenix Award 6.00
More info: Stupid ASUS motherboard made for HP with a Phoenix BIOS. In other words, no one wants to support it.
Asustek Salmon 1.04.
Denniss
BIOS Guru

Kazzandra

That is my board and the .exe did update my BIOS to 10/19/2005.
Unfortunately, it did not allow auto detection of my second hard drive.
However, if I enter my boot menu, it shows up as a drive now (though it has no OS as far as I know).
I am unsure of what that means and am unsure of how to proceed.
Windows XP, of course, does not detect the HD, either.

Other thoughts: My hard drive is http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products ... anguage=en a 250 MB WD Caviar EIDE.
cp
BIOS Guru

if even Windows doesn't detect it there must be something else. (luckily) Windows does not rely on BIOS data when it comes to harddisks. so even if the hdd isn't detected by the BIOS at all, it'll be available in Windows.

is there any other hdd on the same cable? if so: did you jumper the drives correctly? did you try the drive on the 2nd channel?
If you email me include [WIMSBIOS] in the subject.
Kazzandra

If even Windows doesn't detect it there must be something else. (luckily) Windows does not rely on BIOS data when it comes to harddisks.
That I didn't know. :oops:

I currently have both hard drives on the primary IDE channel, and I have the jumpers set to my old drive being the master and the new 250gb drive being a slave. I had a 4 gb slave on the cable, in the same (middle of the IDE cable) slot that I just pulled. I'll try moving the jumpers and seeing if I can't get the drive to appear. If that doesn't work, I'll put it on the CD drive's cable.
I will report back; thanks all for the help, especially if my BIOS ended up NOT being the problem. :o
cp
BIOS Guru

i do suspect that you use Windows XP with at least SP2 installed. is that correct?
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

However, if I enter my boot menu, it shows up as a drive now (though it has no OS as far as I know).
I am unsure of what that means and am unsure of how to proceed.
Windows XP, of course, does not detect the HD, either.
It is not showing up in explorer yet because it has to be partitioned and formatted first. You can see it in disk management and partition it from there, then format it.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
cp
BIOS Guru

oops, i forgot to ask about the disk manager. thanks for jumping in, edwin :)
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

returning the favor, cought me many times on other things :)
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

Kazzandra

Well, I put it on my second IDE channel, and Windows detected it in device manager. I believe the hard drives must not have been playing nicely. However, I was still messing with jumper settings when I come back and read the diskmagn comment. Yep. I ALSO forgot to use diskmanager first. The drive is formatting right now. Wow. Such a basic step and I immediately start checking BIOS and jumper and IDE settings over and over. Yet another lesson for me.

Thanks, one and all! :lol:
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

You're more than welcome. Lost a few hairs myself over this problem so yes, I know the feeling :D
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

aesmith

I read your thread so far, and have the same main board as Kazzandra. I formatted a new 320 GB EIDE drive with G-parted into one 20 GB FAT32 for recovery and one 300 GB NTFS partition for boot OS (WinXP sp3). I then cloned the disk using PC Disk Clone. The computer boots and runs fine on the new drive, but only sees 40 GB total. I checked the BIOS, and it has the newest update already. I ran the update again just to make sure. When I look at the main BIOS menu, LBA or Large Disk Access mode do not show up anywhere. When looking at the properties of the drive, the BIOS recognizes the full 320 GB capacity. How to I get WinXP to do the same?

Thanks for your help!
cp
BIOS Guru

you cloned the drive? which drive? the drive you replaced? was the size of the drive you replaced (or the partition you cloned) 40GB?
aesmith

I cloned the old drive to the new drive. The old was 40GB (actually 32GB, the recovery partition on the old drive is 8gb). The new partition the clone is on is 300 GB.
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

You didn't tell the cloning program to resize the new partitions based on the new disk size. You may be able to do so afterwards (resize the partition) but make sure you have a backup of any stuff made after the transfer.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything