2GB+: 07/31/95-TRITON-2A59CF54C

BIOS update, EIDE card, or overlay software? (FAQ Hard disk recognition)
JJ
New visitors - please read the rules.

I'm trying to flash a chip fpr a client so he can see a 2GB+ drive: this is the output of AWDFLASH v7.71...

For TRITON-2A59CF54C DATE: 07/31/95
Flash Type - Unknown Flash

File Name to Program : m50x.bin

Then we get the "The program's part number does not match with your system" message, and it query's if you wanna flash it anyway - I said Yes, 'cos I'm getting sick of spending all damn day on this - and it shows at the bottom "Error message: Unknown flash Type !" and returns to DOS.

HELP! Please ?
Last edited by JJ on Mon May 26, 2003 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

Try Uniflash ? (at the URL in Rainbow's signature) or with the Award flasher try /f (which uses the routines in the BIOS) - but be very sure you have the right BIOS !! Other possible reasons include BIOS flash protection enabled in the CMOS or flash enable/protect jumper.
Rainbow
The UniFlasher

These boards often came with non-flashable chip (PROM). Peel off the Award sticker from the chip and see what's printed there. If there's M507 or something like that, you need to replace the chip with a Flash ROM first.
Patched and tested BIOSes are at http://wims.rainbow-software.org
UniFlash - Flash anything anywhere
JJ

It's got M506.8-5 on the chip - but I got the impression from a number of other posts that the m50x.bin that I grabbed (out of a file called PC Chips M50x.zip) was appripriate ...

I'll look into BIOS jumper protection ... when I fired up UniFlash, it stated that it might be wite-protected ... if there is no jumper, does this mean I'm outta luck ?

Other than that, is it usual for these older BIOSes to not support drives larger then 2GB ? you all mention drive support over 8GB, but no-one mentions any problemssupporting drives between 2GB and 8GB ...?
Last edited by JJ on Mon May 26, 2003 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rainbow
The UniFlasher

"M506.8-5" on the chip means that it's NOT flashable. There's a 5V/12V jumper on the board but it WILL NOT HELP. That old BIOS should support HDDs up to 8.4GB, although it may show wrong size for HDDs over 2GB, but they will work correctly (full HDD size available in FDISK, etc.)
The m50x.bin supports HDDs up to 128GB and has some new features (ISA Plug&Play support, CD-ROM booting...)
Patched and tested BIOSes are at http://wims.rainbow-software.org
UniFlash - Flash anything anywhere
JJ

You reckon it'll go up to 2GB in FDISK ?

Thanks for the tip - I'll give it a whirl!

EDIT:// All good - thanks for the advice - you guys are gems :) :)

I'll be back - this site is a hidden cornucopia of wonder for me - thanks heaps :)