4.3GB: 12/12/95 --2c4d200-00

BIOS update, EIDE card, or overlay software? (FAQ Hard disk recognition)
nodrog01
New visitors - please read the rules.

Can someone please help me.
When i set the above BIOS to 8255 Cyl, 16 Heads, 63 Spl. The Bios shows the correct Hard Drive sizeof 4.3GB, but when trying to partition it only 500MB is accessible.
I am trying to set up dual boot system with windows and linux, so i am not sure if overlay software will work.
By the way i cannot find a later BIOS than 12/12/95
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

Hi
This is your Edom HiNT 486 board (MV045) ? I doubt it has a flash BIOS, so I don't think you will find a BIOS upgrade.
What version of FDISK are you trying to use ? Did you say "Y" to large disk support ? Has anyone loaded a Disk Manager previously ?
Tested patched BIOSes. Untested patched BIOSes.
Emails *will* be ignored unless the subject line starts "Wim's BIOS forum"
nodrog01
New visitors - please read the rules.

NickS

I am not quite sure, i have been using someting called the ultimate boot disk, that i downloaded from www.startdisk.com.
I assume fdisk is pretty recent, as i have used it on my other machine to install win98 and RedHat 7.3 on a 40GB hard drive.
And i did respond "Y" to large disk support.
I have also tried using the Western Digital Data Lifeguard EZ-Install software, but this looks like it installs disk management software, but on reboot the machine hangs. (also i am not sure if i will be able to install Linux if i use disk management).
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

nodrog01 wrote:NickS

I am not quite sure, i have been using someting called the ultimate boot disk, that i downloaded from www.startdisk.com.
I assume fdisk is pretty recent, as i have used it on my other machine to install win98 and RedHat 7.3 on a 40GB hard drive.
And i did respond "Y" to large disk support.
I have also tried using the Western Digital Data Lifeguard EZ-Install software, but this looks like it installs disk management software, but on reboot the machine hangs. (also i am not sure if i will be able to install Linux if i use disk management).
Are you sure that EZ-Install is completely removed ?

I don't know whether Jan Steunebrink's Int13h checker would cast any light on things ? - see his problem pages at http://web.inter.nl.net/hcc/J.Steunebrink/ and see if anything there helps.
Tested patched BIOSes. Untested patched BIOSes.
Emails *will* be ignored unless the subject line starts "Wim's BIOS forum"