40GB: 02/22/2000-i440BX-NS338-2A69KC2AC-00

BIOS update, EIDE card, or overlay software? (FAQ Hard disk recognition)
gjw
New visitors - please read the rules.

New HD not recognized. I believe I need a bios upgrade for this Micron Transport NX. I have been told (and checked the list) that this is a Chicony MB. Also, are any flash utilities required to upgrade this bios? Any help would be appreciated - thanks... Greg

Current HD: 6 GB Hitachi
New HD: 40 GB Hitachi

Program: eSupport.com BIOS Agent Version 3.33
BIOS Date: 02/22/00
BIOS Type: Award Modular BIOS v4.51PGM
BIOS ID: 02/22/2000-i440BX-NS338-2A69KC2AC
OEM Sign-On: V17M16 2000/02/24
Chipset: Intel 440BX/ZX rev 3
Superio: NSC 338 rev 2 found at port 398h
CPU: INTEL(R) CELERON(TM) 400 Mhz MAX: 400 Mhz
BIOS ROM In Socket: Yes
BIOS ROM Size: 256K
Memory Installed: 384 MB
Memory Maximum: 128 MB
Memory Slot 01: 128 MB
Memory Slot 02: 128 MB
Memory Slot 03: 128 MB
ajzchips
El cheapo dude

I've just checked... you have the latest official release only, and it supports HDDs upto 32GB only. I've patched it to support upto 64GB, and sending it to you by email in a minute.

What you have to do:
1. Download the NXV17M16 file from: ftp://ftp.buympc.com/support/Notebook/NX/BIOS/
2. Insert a good floppy diskette in your drive.
3. Go into DOS mode and execute "NXV17M16 A:"
4. Once the flash floppy is created, replace the V17M16.BIN file with the patched one I shall have sent to your email.
5. Reboot with the inserted diskette.

[edit] Email sent.
gjw

I followed your directions below. I replaced the V17M16.bin file with the V17M16.zm9 file that you sent me and changed the name of the .zm9 file to .bin.

Booted up the floppy and all I get is that it is running the V17M16.bin file and a chksum message under this. It sort of hangs there for a while with the cursor up in the left hand corner of the screen blinking.

I figured it was done and tried the new 40GB drive in the machine - no luck. The machine still hangs while it is trying to identify the new drive.

If I look in the CMOS settings, the CMOS still thinks the drive it is looking at is the 6GB drive.

Any/all suggestions would be appreciated - thanks.

Greg
ajzchips
El cheapo dude

The file I sent you is a .zip file. You client or mailserver may have renamed it. Try to decompress it. The resulting file is a .bin file. Then try again.
gjw

AJ,
Worked like a champ - thanks for all your help

Sorry about the spamming - won't happen again...

Greg
len

Is this patched file still available?

gjw wrote:I followed your directions below. I replaced the V17M16.bin file with the V17M16.zm9 file that you sent me and changed the name of the .zm9 file to .bin.

Booted up the floppy and all I get is that it is running the V17M16.bin file and a chksum message under this. It sort of hangs there for a while with the cursor up in the left hand corner of the screen blinking.

I figured it was done and tried the new 40GB drive in the machine - no luck. The machine still hangs while it is trying to identify the new drive.

If I look in the CMOS settings, the CMOS still thinks the drive it is looking at is the 6GB drive.

Any/all suggestions would be appreciated - thanks.

Greg
ajzchips
El cheapo dude

Sent...

Edit: the email you signed up with is phony. I sent the BIOS twice, and got returned to me. Unknown recipient. No second chance, sorry.
Forum Rule #12: Use your real email address. If our mods try to email you and it's fake, we'll be very displeased.
len

I'm very sorry about that - I switched ISPs a while back and never changed the address on the board. I reset my email address now so it should work. This reminds me to change my email address in a few places...I would appreciate if you could resend, but I understand if you don't want to....

Also, do you know if that bios is ACPI compliant for XP (patched or unpatched)

ajzchips wrote:Sent...

Edit: the email you signed up with is phony. I sent the BIOS twice, and got returned to me. Unknown recipient. No second chance, sorry.
Forum Rule #12: Use your real email address. If our mods try to email you and it's fake, we'll be very displeased.
ajzchips
El cheapo dude

Resent. Considering its release date, it "might" be compliant.
len

Thanks so much, however I still don't see it in my inbox! Can you retry again? If it does not work I'll have to switch the email :(
ajzchips wrote:Resent. Considering its release date, it "might" be compliant.
ajzchips
El cheapo dude

Sent again...
Janck

Hi,
Thank you guys and especially to ajzchips. It is really great to have finally found an upgrade to my Award v4.51PGM BIOS to get around that 33,82GB "bug".

Before I go ahead with the flash, I must be absolutely certain I use the correct file. You post your beta patched BIOSes and there are now:

(Chicony MP989 3-1999 13LCD).zip
(Chicony MP989 3-1999 14LCD15).zip
(Chicony MP989 8-99).zip

My own Micron Transport NX is 15" LCD, and I have the exact same BIOS string as Greg. So, what file should I use? Are there any special cases/issues?

I am upgrading to 2x 40GB IBM TravelStar GNX from 2x 6GBs. These drives are way too fast for this notebook, so do I have to boot from the IBM Feature Tool v1.96 bootdisk and fix the speed to UDMA 33 (mode 2) from UDMA 100 (mode 5)? Do I have to do that manually, or will this parameter be adjusted down and up by Windows 98SE and XP without any help?

Currently the 2x 6GBs are at UDMA 33 and I have never done anything except treating them with SpinRite.

Kind regards,
Jan :wink:
ajzchips
El cheapo dude

Why are you showing the official Chicony BIOSes? Do you need the same file I sent "len" and "gjw"?
Janck

Hi,
Yes, yes, yes!

My e-mail address is valid.

I guess I mis-understand your table named <Beta Patched BIOSes> or what?

Anyway, it would be hugh if I could test out your modified BIOS of the BIOS file with string:

02/22/2000-i440BX-NS338-2A69KC2AC-00

I will get back with the results.

Kind regards,
Jan :wink:
ajzchips
El cheapo dude

Sent to your email...