40GB: Asus P2L97

BIOS update, EIDE card, or overlay software? (FAQ Hard disk recognition)
klanzzer
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hi
My Motherboard P2L97 i440 LX does not recognizes my Harddisk WD400 40 GB, It gets Stuck at Detecting the hardware and had to be restaarted....I Heard Bios Can help me....

I don't know anything about Bios At all, I could really Use some Easy explination & a guide to help me through this Plz............

Owais

Shylows@hotmail.com
klanzzer@eim.ae
Denniss
BIOS Guru

Bios:
ftp://ftp.asuscom.de/pub/ASUSCOM/BIOS/S ... 10__04.zip

Please use Uniflash as Flashtool - www.uniflash.org

Go to www.bootdisk.com and download the "driver free for Bios flashing" Floppy creator and start it via doublelick to create a bootable Floppy. Copy Uniflash and Bios image on this floppy (the need to be unpacked).

Please read the Uniflash instructions how to update a Bios and read the Wimsbios main page FAQ how to update Bios.

Reboot your computer and start from floppy (You may need to change boot order from C:-> A: to A:->C: if Floppy does not start - read your mainboard manual how to do this
klanzzer

Hi Denniss

I had this very bad luck, I actually did all this two days before getting your reply
I Downloaded UNIflash copied it on a floppy which included system files in it, than while booting my PC i inserted the floppy it got to DOS Prompt there i entered into UNIflash Program and had no idea what to do when it ask me to load a program i loaded some 0104.Bin that i got from the internet and restarted my PC...... BOOOM...

It didn't opened at all... after that all I can hear the sound even the FAN is working but it dosen't show anything on the screen....

I read In my motherboard Manual to find out how to clear the cmos & Bios to get the system back to normal but there are no jumpers on it where the manual says there should be , no pins either just two dots of led circled around with wihite ink and it states there clear CMOS but HOW when there is no Jumper to reposition...

Anyway i Noted your reply and downloaded all the Ness Stuff that you stated but first i gotta find out how to clear the CMOS and get my system UP an running first .....

I'll Wait for your Reply
Denniss
BIOS Guru

Remove power from you case, press power button to unload power from board and PSU then bridge these two small solderpoints with a screwdriver or remove the battery for 5 minutes.

The Bios file you used must be wrong - non-standard name for Asus
klanzzer

Hi Denniss

Will I tried That aswell, took off the battery left it for 5 Min and installed it back but still the same...

You know the power switch itself is not working when I try to turn it on or off it just dosen't react at all, I can still see the FAN working Harddisk is rotating but no display on the screen yet.

To short the motherboard means that i have to place a screwdriver on the two spots which says clear cmos...........? but for how long.....?

My brother said place a copper wire on both of the points to short it...
i did that aswell but still the same damn thing

Look like My motherboard is Gone...is it.............

But Thanx anyway for you response man I really appreciate That.....
Denniss
BIOS Guru

No need to power-on the board - it's just to empty all energy stored in board and PSU therefore requiring the PSU to be offline.

The Board should not be gone but the data on your Flashrom is gone or wrong. Seem you need to have your Flashrom reprogrammed either per Hotflash/Hotswap or by programming service (Net or local store).
klanzzer

Hi Dinness

Man I'm telling you I have done about say 20 times tried to took off the stored energy off it, I used copper wires tried it with a screw driver I even took of the battery a couple of times for about 5, 6 minutes but It dosen't start. My switch is completely gone It stays where it is. I have tried to switch the Motherboard into a New casing with a perfect working start button but it does the same thing.

I can't Use any programe unless the PC starts, so if you know a way to do that other than shorting the points and clearing the COMS do tell me please.....
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

I think a corrupt or bad BIOS image can sometimes cause a board not to power on. When trying to power on, just also make sure that power is applied from the wall all the way through to the PSU and that the PSU switch, if present, is turned on. I was going to suggest checking the PSU also but since you have tried another case you have probably already tried another PSU by default.
klanzzer

Hi Man
Actually I switched the case but not the PSU, I Used the same one, do you think that could be the problem.....? and as for the direct line I am using an extension cord with another currently working Computer on it Plus a High Fi System & some other peripherals plugged in aswell

That's a good point to make mate. Let me try using a Direct line from the wall & I'll go for a different PSU too

..............THANX FOR THE REPLIES MATES.......... :P
Groovie1971

Hi Guys,

I did have the same prob as klanzzer first post...I did follow the steps mentioned by Denniss in the second post and it works great!

Just want to say thank you

Greets, JJ