40GB: enmic 8NAX+

BIOS update, EIDE card, or overlay software? (FAQ Hard disk recognition)
Carsten
New visitors - please read the rules.

I have an enmic 8NAX+ (same design as the epox 8RDA+) with the newest bios (8NAPNMC3.bin) and my western digital HD ( WD400 - 40 GB)is not recognized. I tried it as Master and Slave. My othe HD is recognized. I tried several Jumper settings listed on the WD homepage. Also defining the HD manually in bios with the settings an other motherboard gives me doesn't work. Difinig it as an 528MB Drive (1023 X 16 X 63) also doesn't help.
When I use it as Master the booting sequence freezes during detecting the HDs, as Slave it's simply not found. I'm afraind of trying the epox bios.
Any suggestions what doing else?

Thanks for any help
Carsten
Germany
Denniss
BIOS Guru

With a WD drive as single master - no slave installed - remove master jumper
With Slave installed use Master/Slave or Cable Select
With an 80wire IDE-UDMA cable use blue end to mainboard and black end to master device
Does the drive spin up ? > maybe defective
Do not use Epox bios !
Carsten

At the first IDE controler a 10 GB Seagate HD is installed and works fine as Master. On the second IDE port the WD is installed and spins up but is not detected. I also tried the WD on IDE 1 for it's own without any jumpers and with cable detect but it doesn't help. I tried the HD once again in an other computer and it worked fine.
After putting it back in the new one as secondary slave it was detected for one time correctly but on the second boot the detection did hang again.
Very strange, but any changes in jumper settings, using other cables or changing from Slave to Master or changing from IDE1 to IDE2 doesn't help.

Thanks for suggestions
Carsten
Denniss
BIOS Guru

Hmmm - strange problem
Try to contact support or use a different Bios file
http://www.enmic.de/default.php?pg=down ... =2&pid=163

Does the HDD work with an older 40wire IDE-cable ?
Please try the HDD with the known working cable from your other computer
Carsten

I have tried several cables and I did test the drive on an Elitegroup board again, on the old boad it's detected OK. I have contacted the enmic support but didn't get an answer. I have tested it with all three awailable bioses without success. Any more ideas or anyone with the same problem on a nforce2 board?