40GB for 01/25/1999-691-586B-W877-2A6LFJ1CC-00

BIOS update, EIDE card, or overlay software? (FAQ Hard disk recognition)
Neil
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hi,
I need a bios patch on my system. The bios data are:

BIOS Type: Award Modular BIOS v4.51PG
BIOS ID: 01/25/1999-691-586B-W877-2A6LFJ1CC-00
BIOS Eval: V.791BS_2 B04

Any help is very much appreciated.

Thanks.
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

According to Wim's BIOS Number's (AWARD) Page:

2A6LF Via Apollo Pro (691/596) Chipset
J1 Jetway

But not in list.

One of the moderators will probably be able to help further.
KURIAKI

It's a Jetway motherboard, but there are more 'owners':

http://www.supportbios.info/resultado.a ... &Idioma=EN
More than 100,000 BIOS strings in my database just now!
http:/ /www.kuriaki.has.it/
http:/ /www.supportbios.info
------------------------------------------
Saludos desde Cancun, Mexico
KURIAKI
Neil

Hi,
Thanks for the replys. I checked the bios from jetway's site and the Bios Type, Bios ID, and Bios Eval as well as the manual are the same with mine. I haven't tried yet the others. Anyway, I used the utility by Rom.by and it now detects the 40GB HD. Any reply is still very much appreciated.

Regards
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

I checked the bios from jetway's site and the Bios Type, Bios ID, and Bios Eval as well as the manual are the same with mine. I haven't tried yet the others. Anyway, I used the utility by Rom.by and it now detects the 40GB HD.
Congratulations - I'm glad it worked. Sometimes in the past when I have updated a BIOS and was not 100% certain myself that I had an exact match, but just had the closest match I could find, I also felt like I was taking a bit of a gamble. But I always backup the old version with the flash utility to give me a better chance of recovery if needed.
Any reply is still very much appreciated.
Do you need any furher help? If you install a larger HDD in the future (>64GB) it would be interesting to for your to report whether it works with that or not.
Neil

Hi,
Thanks for the replys again. Anyway, I did not use the bios from jetway's site but instead I used this patching utility by Rom.by. I patch my bios using this utility and now my pc detects the 40Gb capacity. After patching, the utility said it could detect until 137Gb HD. Since then, I did not notice any problem on my pc after installing the OS and etc. Any reply is appreciated.

Regards
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

The only suggestion I would make is that next time you patch a BIOS yourself (and you may have already done this), patch the latest BIOS you can find from the manufacturer.

That way you get all the latest hardware support, features and bug fixes, plus what you patch. And sometimes the manufacturer BIOS may not require patching, if it already gives you the HDD support you require. It is best not to patch if you can avoid it.