40GB Harddisk being recognized as only 8.4GB

BIOS update, EIDE card, or overlay software? (FAQ Hard disk recognition)
netscaper
New visitors - please read the rules.

I have an old PC with a Asus motherboard installed, and an Award Software BIOS identified as follows:

Award BIOS V4.51PG
BIOS ID String: 06/10/96-82430HX-PI55T2P4C-00

I tried to install a 40GB Maxtor ATA/133 harddisk but the disk autodetection feature from the BIOS setup always recognizes only 8.4GB. As far as I could find, this is a known limitation that could be solved by updating the motherboard BIOS. However, since both the machine and the installed BIOS version seem to be a bit old, I could’t find any available update for it.
Please, any help on where can I download a suitable BIOS update to solve this problem?

Thanks a lot
cp
BIOS Guru

get a patched bios here:

http://web.inter.nl.net/hcc/J.Steunebrink/k6plus.htm

and make sure to send Jan an email saying 'Thank You!' :)
netscaper
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hi cp

Thanks for your reply and your help. I followed the link you pointed out and found there updates for XP55T2P4, XP55T2P4 and P55T2P4S but none for the specfic case I was looking for, which is the PI55T2P4C.

I tried to flash those ones (making a backup copy of the BIOS first, just in case...) and none of them could be flashed successfully. Fortunately I had the BIOS safe copy to put back after the update failed and the PC still runs the setup and boots fine from floppy.

I used UniFlash but doesn't seem to me the problem comes from the flashing utility but from the BIOS update file not being the right one.

Any ideias?

Thanks once again
cp
BIOS Guru

the bios for the P55T2P4 / XP55T2P4 should work on your mainboard, too. the T2P4C only is an OEM version of the original T2P4.