40GB WD HDD on ProComp B687

BIOS update, EIDE card, or overlay software? (FAQ Hard disk recognition)
jbmx4life
New visitors - please read the rules.

I found the patched BIOS for this motherboard here and tried it out. The motherboard now recognizes the hard drive, I can load W2K or WinXP to it but when it comes to the part of rebooting so the rest of the OS can load I get the message:

"Error Loading Operating System"

That is all that it says. I tried partitioning out the HDD to smaller partitions to see if that would work but it didn't. At first the BIOS must not have completely flashed right because even a working HDD with OS on it did not work (was previously in the system) it gave the same message. I re-flashed the BIOS and that one works fine now. I would really like to get this 40GB HDD working on this system as my other back-up system died.

Thanks,
J

EDIT: BIOS String:

02/12/1999-i440BX-ALI513-2A69KPNDC-00
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

What bios did you flash last?
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
jbmx4life

I have the patched BIOS flashed into the motherboard.

I did some more goofin around and testing last night but still couldn't get it to work no matter what I tried. I then tried to hook up the other HDD that was in the system and it won't boot again. I really dunno what is going on.
cp
BIOS Guru

1. enter the bios
2. run ide hdd autodetection
3. select 2/Y for all drives (LBA addressing scheme)
4. quit the bios saving all settings
5. boot windows installation and repartition the drive (writing a new bootsector)
6. done
jbmx4life

cp wrote:1. enter the bios
2. run ide hdd autodetection
3. select 2/Y for all drives (LBA addressing scheme)
4. quit the bios saving all settings
5. boot windows installation and repartition the drive (writing a new bootsector)
6. done
Did as you stated and all is well now. I got W2K installed on the system and it is running good. Do you happen to know off hand how much memory this chipset can take? I have found varying opinions about that on the web so I don't know for sure. Thanks!
Denniss
BIOS Guru

i440BX = 256MB per Slot.
These 256MB Memory sticks have to be i440BX compatible, double-sided with 16 chips and 16x8 internal organization.