40GB: 03/12/99-i430VX-2A59GM49C-00

BIOS update, EIDE card, or overlay software? (FAQ Hard disk recognition)
Pistol
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hi, I'm trying to fit a 40GB hard drive to my aging PC setup, and have run up against the 32GB capacity limit. My mainboard is an MSI MS-5129 v1.2, and I'm trying to fit a Maxtor Diamondmax drive. BIOS Agent info follows:

Program: Unicore BIOS Wizard Version 3.2
Program: eSupport.com BIOS Detect v1.1 June 4, 2003
BIOS Date: 03/12/99
BIOS Type: Award Modular BIOS v4.51PG
BIOS ID: 03/12/99-i430VX-2A59GM49C-00
OEM Sign-On: (Rel 1.1A) BIOS Upgrade Provided by Unicore Software
Chipset: Intel Triton 430VX rev 2
Superio: Winbond 877F (use 87h) rev 0 found at port 3F0h
CPU Type: AMD-K6
CPU Speed: 333 Mhz
CPU Max: 266 Mhz
BIOS ROM In Socket: Yes
BIOS ROM Size: 128K
Memory Installed: 128 MB
Memory Maximum: 128 MB

The BIOS will autodetect the drive if the Capacity Limitation Jumper is set, but of course then I'll lose 8GB of storage space :x

The most recent BIOS update from MSI can be found here, but as you can see it's older than the Unicore BIOS update presently installed. Unicore want to charge me $24.95 for a BIOS update - if someone could sort me out with a patch instead, that would make my day!

I could supply a backup of the BIOS that's in my system now if neccessary, couldn't I (start a flash, back it up, then quit without flashing)?

Thanks for any assistance!
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

Taking a look ..., hmm, the latest BIOS at the URL provided says:
06/10/97-i430VX-2A59GM49C-00
WI7C 040197
Would you like to email me your BIOS ?
Pistol

Will do! Thanks for replying! I'll try to sort it tonight.

Edit: Sent!
Pistol

NickS, your patched BIOS worked a treat! The drive auto-detected at the correct capacity, and formatted no trouble. Thanks for saving me a lot of frustration!

[Side note for info: if anyone is installing a Maxtor hard drive on a similar old system, and finds Maxblast 3 crashes, contact Maxtor. They sent me Maxblast 1.27s which worked fine.]
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

Pistol, were you using MaxBlast to get around the 32GB limit or, if not, what ?
Pistol

Nick,

I wasn't using Maxblast to get around the 32gb limit. When I originally tried to fit the drive, it was recognised when the 32gb capacity limitation jumper was set. I did try to run Maxblast then, but it didn't work - crashed. I think the latest version of the software is incompatible with my machine, or something. I suppose I could have formatted the drive as 32gb without using Maxblast at all, but I didn't think of that at the time :roll: , and TBH I really wanted to get the 40gb I'd paid for! By the time I got another version of Maxblast and had the time to try the drive again, you'd already sent me the patched BIOS :D so I never needed to try and use the dynamic disk overlay function of Maxblast. I just used it to copy my old system drive over to the new one.

I wouldn't have really wanted to use DDO software anyhow, as the whole point of the 40gb disk was that I could carry it over to my next PC (when I can afford one!) - using DDO would screw that right up!

Thanks again!
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

Pistol wrote:Maxblast. I just used it to copy my old system drive over to the new one.
Ah, OK. Thanks for the feedback.

General note: as this is a Unicore BIOS, not one which is available for free download from MSI, I don't think I can put the patched version up for free download.