40GB: Kaimei/Jamicon: 09/17/97-580VPX-ALi5113-2A5LDK1AC-00

BIOS update, EIDE card, or overlay software? (FAQ Hard disk recognition)
KachiWachi
The New Guy

How many chips on each module?

32 MB - S4004SE1DJ-06

Lifetime 5 volt, EDO, 60nS, 16 Mb Technology, 4Mx4

16 MB - HP 1818-6430

16MB EDO 60 (4Mx32)

VT82C580VPX

- Fast Page Mode/EDO/Synchronous-DRAM support in a mixed combination
- Mixed 1M/2M/4M/8M/16MxN DRAMs
- 6 banks up to 512MB DRAMs
- Two-bank interleaving for 16Mbit SDRAM support
- Two-bank and four bank interleaving for 64Mbit SDRAM support (14 MA lines)
haplo
New visitors - please read the rules.

16 on the 32mb modules and 8 on the 16mb ones(each)
Denniss
BIOS Guru

Maybe the board has problems with using three sticks of EDO using 5 banks in total. Better stick with the two 32MB ones.
Maybe you are lucky and able to get some decent SDRAM for cheap. But you have have to look for special modules. If the 64Bit are correct the max you can use are 128MB sticks with 16 memory chips installed (like your 32MB EDO DIMM).
cp
BIOS Guru

are the two 16MB modules working at all?
If you email me include [WIMSBIOS] in the subject.
KachiWachi
The New Guy

cp wrote:are the two 16MB modules working at all?
I was just going to ask this myself.

Are they recognized by the Motherboard when they are installed by themselves?
Denniss
BIOS Guru

Is it possible the second 32MB stick is SDRAM ?

Then it's clear, most often you can't use EDO and SDRAM at the same time.
haplo

OK, I tried all possible combinations again, just to be sure, and the modules are recognized as expected:
16mb,32mb-works(recognizes only 64mb though)
32mb,16mb-works(same)
{2x16mb},{} -works
{2x16mb},{2x16mb}-works
{} ,{2x16mb}-i don't know if it works since the computer didn't start up, but this might not be because it didn't recognize any memory, since the video board is faulty and I sometimes get a blank screen on boot (but the bootstrap sequence seems to go on, eg: fdd & cd-rom search & i can still hear the hdd booting up)
Also, an interesting thing to note is the fact that in Aida32 the memory modules are recognized as 16mb each(instead of 2x32mb & 2x16mb). So, yes, the 16mb modules work.
@Deniss: sorry i just noticed your last message; I sem to recall that it was written edo on a sticker on the 32mb modules but i'm not sure; i'll check tomorrow
I could of course settle with just 64 mb but then i'll never find out why it didn't work with 96mb. Also, I could go scavenging for old memory modules on the net but I don't want to waste more money and especially time before I know the cause of the first problem. Finally, I encountered this problem on a jetway motherboard(j-656c) as well although I read in its manual that it handles up to 128mb edo ram(it doesn't work with sdram so that could be another argument in stating that the 32mb modules are edo)
I hope this information helps.
haplo

I did the last tests and i found something interesting:
first of all, the {}{2x16} arrangement works and second, if I leave only the 32mb modules on each memory bank it only recognizes 32mb of memory.
@Deniss: I checked the modules and it doesn't say if they're edo or sdram but the pin layout is the same as on the 16mb modules.
KachiWachi
The New Guy

With reference to your { }, I'm not sure what this means.

Are you referring to the RAM socket itself, or to the bank (two sockets)?

@Denniss - The RAM is EDO SIMM...not SDRAM.

Thanks.
haplo

I was referring to the memory bank(pair of slots)
edit: By the way, I tried running memtest86+ and it said my memory control chipset is vt82c585. I found its data sheet here http://www.digchip.com/datasheets/parts ... 82C585.php , but I can't understand a thing. Hope this helps...
haplo

up
KachiWachi
The New Guy

I reported the information from the datasheet a few posts up.

Thanks.
haplo

I have another problem with the board concerning the usb. When I connect my memory stick(2Gb) to it and try to copy something(to or from) it works for only about 10 mb until it gives me this message: Cannot create or replace xxxxx: Cannot read from the source file or disk, after which it won't open the drive saying that it's not formatted. If I remove the stick and plug it in after a few minutes it recognizes it but the copy problem remains. I think the port is version 1.0 although i don't know if that's a problem since it doesn't have any problem in recognizing it.
edit: Iforgot to mention that I am using Windows 98 SE.
Reverse-Connection

haplo wrote:I have another problem with the board concerning the usb. When I connect my memory stick(2Gb) to it and try to copy something(to or from) it works for only about 10 mb until it gives me this message: Cannot create or replace xxxxx: Cannot read from the source file or disk, after which it won't open the drive saying that it's not formatted. If I remove the stick and plug it in after a few minutes it recognizes it but the copy problem remains. I think the port is version 1.0 although i don't know if that's a problem since it doesn't have any problem in recognizing it.
edit: Iforgot to mention that I am using Windows 98 SE.
Hey, i have exactly the same Problem!!! I am using Win 98 as well and this happens to me with my cardreader. When i put in my SD Card it does recognize it but after 10-15MB it gives me the same error :cry:
Can´t somebody help in this?

Reverse-Connection
haplo

Sorry for the late post, I've given up on the subject for quite some time but from what I gathered from other forums it was the number of boards I had on the pci bus. It seems that the controller couldn't allocate enough irqs...or something...so I did manage to get it working for a few days when i left only the bare minimum on the motherboard(video board).