40GB: Toshiba Notebook Satellite 220CS

BIOS update, EIDE card, or overlay software? (FAQ Hard disk recognition)
frustratedpcuser
New visitors - please read the rules.

Thank you for reading my message.

I just got a notebook with a broken harddisk. Even though it is very old I wont through it away. I inserted a new hardisk which has the size of 40gigs. I switched on the notebook but the bios was only able to recognize 8gb. I tried to find some informations about the Bios on the internet but I didnt have any luck. I did call the Toshiba customers support and they did tell me that the laptop will only recognize 8gb. If I install a biger harddisk then the system might become unstable or will just stop working.

Then I remembered you guys. NickS did help me a couple years ago (By the way how is he doing? I hope hes is doing fine)

The rest of the message isnt that interesting anymore, I found the Bios. If you are able to patch it, in the next post you will be a ble to find a link to the files.

I still remember the rules so I tried to figure out everything about the bios. I did install the Bios wizzard but it did only say 256kb / Toshiba every other information was missing. Then I did install AIDA but it did also only find out about the size. After all I downloaded the universial flasher from the rainbow webpage. I tried to save the Bios but all I got was an error message. Something like can´t find any informations. Flash unlocked? Prettymuch frustrated I removed every screw of the laptop. I was able to find an AMD TSOP Flash Chip with something printed on it:
F36000 / 458015.

I forgot to write down that I also wasn´t able to find the Bios on the webpage of Toshiba. :( But I know somewhere in the web I will find it ;) I wont give up.

The universal flasher doesn´t work, I do not have a flash.bin I seriously do not know what to do. My lttle daughter has been so happy when she saw the laptop and now I can not make it work. Please help me if you can. Thank you very much

Technical informations:
Toshiba Satellite 220CS
Modell Nr. 1240EYV-GRDI
the mainboard is labeled FVNSS2 B36079381 (115 E0)
AMD TSOP Flash Chip - F36000 / 458015 is written on the sticker of the flash.
Last edited by frustratedpcuser on Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
frustratedpcuser

I got good news ;)

This time I called the toshiba customers support in the UK. Even though it wasnt easy for me to talk with this support-guy in english (Iam just a stupid german guy), we were able to figure out where to find the Bios. You can download it here:

http://support.toshiba-tro.de/tools/bio ... 20-6b0.zip

Unfortunatelly that is all what I can do :( Hopefully somebody will be able to patch this bios.

Thank you very much.
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

Phoenix bios. We cannot patch those :(
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
frustratedpcuser

Thank you for your reply. And Oh no ! ;)

Hopefully its okay when I ask a last question. My little darling will get this one for playing but I thought that maybe I could use it for testing I2C Bus-Systems when she allows me to use it.

For her Barbie-stuff she will need Windows. I2C milk needs Linux. I just figured out that if I connect the harddisk to my pc and create the partitions then windows will find the whole 40 gigs.

Is there any way to get Linux to work next to Windows on the same harddisk on a second partition?

Thank you for your help.
frustratedpcuser

Who ever has a bios that is not patchable, you should ask google for help. Just put in "8gb bug bios" and you will get a lot of results. Right now Iam not able to test the suggestions that I found on a few webpages because the new owner of the little machine needs it to play. Once I have installed everything I will post how I made it. Iam not able to patch a bios or whatever but it might help other users who use a phoenix bios.

Have a wonderful weekend.
frustratedpcuser

Okay, here is the sollution ...

I do have a 40gigs harddisk installed. So I wanted to use 20gigs for WinME and 20Gigs for Linux.

1st I started from an Debian installationdisk. Follow the Instructions untill you get to the point where you have to patritionate your harddisk. Choose manually partitioning (or how ever it is called)

the 1st partition should include 8 gigs, FAT32, primary, Bootflag.
the 2nd partition should be 12 gigs FAT32, logical
the 3th partition 300 megs ext3 logical mounted on /boot
the 4th partition 8gigs ext3 logical mounted on /
the 5th partition 8gigs ext3 logical mounted on /home
the 6th partition every space that is left ext3 mounted on /usr
after the partitioning is done reboot the system and install Windows ME
after that install your prevered Linuxsystem. Let Lilo or Grub write the bootsector in the MBR and thats it!

Once you reboot you can choose between Windows or Linux.

sorry for my bad english :(