500GB: 06/20/2002-i845-6A69VFLDC-00

BIOS update, EIDE card, or overlay software? (FAQ Hard disk recognition)
fisholith
New visitors - please read the rules.

===== Reason for posting::
I wish to use a 500GB hard drive (EIDE Western Digital), as the primary drive, with 1 patron of approximately 500GB containing the OS. Currently, I am only able to boot the computer if the main partition is smaller than the 137GB limit.00
The sticky post regarding this limit “We can't patch/update Bios for native support of HDD over 128/137GB.”
Does this mean that no one can provide the BIOS for download, or simply that the BIOS can’t be downloaded from this site?

===== BIOS Overview::
The primary information I have gathered about my system’s BIOS is as follows:
BIOS Type: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
BIOS ID: 06/20/2002-i845-6A69VFLDC-00
BIOS Eval: 845E Rev2.01K - 6.00 PG
Chipset: Intel 1A30 rev 17
> Note: I got two different result for SuperIO between "BIOS Agent" and "BIOS Wizard".
SuperIO: Winbond 627F/HF rev 7 at port 002E (from BIOS Agent Scan Results)
SuperIO: Winbond 83627F/HF found at port 2Eh (from BIOS Wizard 2.10)

===== Final Notes::
I called the BIOS Agent support number, and was subsequently told that an updated BIOS did exist (with 48bit LBA), but that the cost for emailing the link for the BIOS and flashing program was around $40. As far as I know all the necessary files and tools should be freely available. As such I’d prefer to go the freeware rout. If anyone knows otherwise please let me know.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks.

===== BIOS Detailed Information:: (In case it becomes important)
The detailed information may not be needed, but just in case it is, below I have listed the BIOS details I have acquired from the various different tools and sources I hade available.

----- BIOS Info (from POST screen during boot):
Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG, An Energy Star Ally
Copyright (C) 1984-2002, Phoenix Technologies, LTD
845E Rev2.01K
06/20/2002-i845-6A69VFLDC-00

----- BIOS Info (from BIOS Agent Scan Results):
BIOS Type: Phoenix-Award
BIOS Date: June 20th 2002
BIOS ID: 06/20/2002-i845-6A69VFLDC-00
BIOS OEM: 845E Rev2.01K - 6.00 PG
Chipset: Intel 1A30 rev 17
SuperIO: Winbond 627F/HF rev 7 at port 002E
Manufacturer: Unknown
Motherboard: i845
Maximum Memory: 3072MB
Installed Memory: 1024MB
Memory Config: Slot1:512 Slot2:512 Slot3:0

----- BIOS Info (from MSInfo32.exe):
BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG, 6/20/2002

----- BIOS Info (from BIOS Wizard 2.10):
Generated by: BIOS Wizard 2.10
Date: October 11, 2007
Time: 11:30

PnP Version : BIOS currently supports latest version 1.0
PCI Version : BIOS currently supports latest version 2.1
PCI IRQ Routing Table : BIOS currently supports this feature
Enhanced Disk Drive
Specification : BIOS currently supports this feature
DMI Version : BIOS supports minimum version 2.2. Latest is
version 2.3
ACPI Version : BIOS currently supports latest version 1.0
APM Version : BIOS currently supports latest version 1.2
Booting From CD-ROM : BIOS currently supports this feature
Supports ESCD : BIOS currently supports this feature
Can be Updated (flashed) : BIOS currently supports this feature
Can be Shadowed : BIOS currently supports this feature
BIOS Chip in Socket : BIOS currently supports this feature
Supports Selective Booting : BIOS currently supports this feature
Supports LS-120 Booting : BIOS doesn't support this feature
Supports ZIP Booting : BIOS doesn't support this feature
Supports Network Booting : The testing of this feature is not supported by
the current DMI version
BIOS Manufacturer : Phoenix
BIOS ID : Unknown
BIOS Date : 06/20/02
BIOS OEM Signon :
BIOS ROM Size : 256K
Chipset : Intel 1A30 rev 17
Super I/O Chip : Winbond 83627F/HF found at port 2Eh
cp
BIOS Guru

install SP2 and you will be able to access the rest of the hdd. the limit with the boot (main) partition will persist (i don't see why someone would want a boot partition larger than 4GB anyway...)

btw. it is not impossible to patch a bios to LBA48 support but that would require HUGE changes. i would say patching LBA48 support into an existing bios is very close to impossible. i'd rather write a completely new bios ;)
fisholith

I have used the BIOS update scan service provided by the link below. http://scan.esupport.com/?r=28&CFID=445 ... N=88734011
I believe this is the service recommended by Wim’s BIOS.

I spoke with a customer service representative, and was told that a BIOS was found, but that the link to the BIOS would cost about $30.

Before I purchase the BIOS I like to know if anyone knows about any of the following issues:
1: Has anyone else successfully acquired a BIOS form the "esupport" people?
2: Is the BIOS I need likely to be freeware, and thus freely downloadable from somewhere?

Thanks
cp
BIOS Guru

really...i don't want anyone to think i don't like this kind of service but...if you're gonna pay 30-40$ for a stinky bios update why not getting a new mainboard instead?
fisholith

My thoughts exactly...
While I have never replaced a motherboard before, I have replaced nearly everything else in the effected computer. All the hardware except for the motherboard and CPU are relatively modern. The motherboard is some freakishly uncommon model sporting only an AGP slot for older graphics cards, and the CPU is 2.0 GHz single core. I could probably get the cheapest PCI-e bearing motherboard I could find, throw a 3.0 GHz single core CPU in it, and be far better off in the long run.
Do you know off-hand if replacing a motherboard and CPU are likely to cause a storm of compatibility errors, or is it pretty much plug and play?

Thanks.
cp
BIOS Guru

it is plug and play..but not for your current operating system installation. you should install it from scratch.

btw. i would avoid creating a partition that holds the operating system that is larger than 2-4GB for windows xp or 4-8GB for windows vista. make sure that all programs are installed on a 2nd partition so you don't run out of space on your boot partition. move 'my documents' to the 2nd partition and move a fixed size virtual memory file to the 2nd partition, too. the reason for this strategy is simple: if you have to reinstall windows the majority of your data files will already be on the 2nd partition while you can format the boot partition and get a clean installation running in almost no time. no need to backup 500GB of data for getting a clean installation.
to make it even simpler you can make an image of your clean installation after you adjusted some settings and installed some basic programs (alternate compression util, browser, mail application, media player, etc.)

so if you want to stick with your current hardware create a 2-4GB boot partition and use the above advice.
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

The motherboard is some freakishly uncommon model
Could you make a clear picture of it once you replaced the thing? We're curious what brand/model this may be...
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...