60GB: 4/20/1998 - i440BX-W977TF-2A69KP89C-00

BIOS update, EIDE card, or overlay software? (FAQ Hard disk recognition)
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

Thats great that everything worked for you so easily from UniFlash onwards.

The only thing I would have also checked regarding the HDD setup would be one of the following.

1) For AUTO settings, also make sure the MODE type is also set to AUTO.

OR

2) Run the HDD autodetect from inside the BIOS setup, and save the BIOS with the resulting USER entries.

The reason I would do this is to ensure the BIOS is operating the drives in the optimal modes possible with your configuration.

However, since you have already started installing Windows XP, do not make any changes now, as you could corrupt the drives. Instead, enter into the BIOS setup, have a look at what the settings are and note them down, so if the BIOS ever loses those settings you can set them again in a way that is correct for your current disk images.

Otherwise, enjoy your upgraded PC.
Shoka
New visitors - please read the rules.

After a successful setup of windows xp I began installing the software. I tried Adobe Acrobat Reader 6. When I clicked on setup.exe, the Installer was displayed. After that, setup proceeded with copying files and then the machine crashed. The whole machine was hanging and did not respond to anything, the display got black, monitor was standby).

First, I thought it was only this time, so I tried using another software (mcafee). The same effect, during copying of files, the machine died again....

my disk has MODE set to AUTO.

Strange thing...
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

machine crashes during disk activity -> try other power supply...
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
Shoka
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hi,

Ok, I'm gonna buy that thing today. ;)

cheers
shoka
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

I have heard lots of people say that a bad PSU can cause your type of problem Shoka, but have never come across it myself yet. Thats not to say it can't happen of-course; I probably have just worked on machines with different problems.

Once you install the new power supply, I hope it fixes your problem. If it does not, I would next be reseating the RAM, all AGP/PCI/ISA cards, all mobo connectors and the cables to all drives, several times each, to clean them, and if that works, you've scored yourself a spare power supply. Even if it doesn't work, you've still scored yourself a spare power supply because you still have to eliminate something else as the cause of the problem.

Best of luck!