60GB: 11/24/97-i430TX-2A59Imd9C-00

BIOS update, EIDE card, or overlay software? (FAQ Hard disk recognition)
dainko
New visitors - please read the rules.

After reading some of the posts, I see that I need this "patch" for my Award BIOS, for I too, can not get my computer or OS to recognize this HDD. The following info is for the computer the HDD is going into:

BIOS Date: 11/24/97
BIOS Type: Award Modular BIOS v4.51PG
BIOS ID: 11/24/97-i430TX-2A59Imd9C-00
BIOS Eval: Micronics Computers, Inc. Twister AT-03
Chipset: Intel Triton 430TX rev 1
Superio: SMC 665IR rev 2 found at port 3F0h

I have tried WD's "ezbios" software, but it keeps hanging on me during setup. OS is Win98 (not SE).

Also, do I need to update my BIOS? If so, where can I find it? Micronics Computer, Inc. isn't around anymore (bought out by Diamond Multimedia, which was bought out by someone else...). Any and all information would be greatly appreciated.

dainko
Rainbow
The UniFlasher

It's Micronics Twister AT board and you have the latest BIOS. I sent you patched version.
Patched and tested BIOSes are at http://wims.rainbow-software.org
UniFlash - Flash anything anywhere
dainko

I'm part way there. The BIOS always saw the WD60 GB drive as 32 GB, but the OS (Win98) wouldn't even acknowledge it's existence. Now, that I have applied the patch, the OS "see's" it as a 32 GB, too. Is this the end of the road? The only option I can think of, now, is to buy an (E)IDE card, upgrade my BIOS chip, or try the EZ BIOS program from WesternDigital again. I was hoping to avoid the latter. EZ BIOS makes the computer run slow and there is something about the program that gives me a creepy feeling... Call it a gut feeling. Any more info and/or advice would still be greatly appreciated.

dainko
ajzchips
El cheapo dude

Make sure your HDD doesn't have the 32GB limit clip on.
dainko

32 GB limit clip? Are you familiar with WD Caviar HDD? I know that there is a special jumper setting besides the Master/Slave jumper. Is this what you mean?

dainko
Denniss
BIOS Guru

Yes - he means to check the jumper settings .
Seems the 32GB Limit clip is installed per default .
Check documentation printed onto the HDD or from WD website