64GB+: ms-6154

BIOS update, EIDE card, or overlay software? (FAQ Hard disk recognition)
Neil
New visitors - please read the rules.

Good day everybody,
The BIOS CODE
BIOS Type: Award Modular BIOS
BIOS ID: 12/02/1999-692-596-w977-2A6LGM4EC-00
BIOS Eval: W6154VI5 V1.1 082100

It is an MSI board but i'm confuse with the bios in there site which are ms-6154 and ms-6154va. The board marking is ms-6154 ver: 2.1. Any help would be much appreciated.
THANKZ
Denniss
BIOS Guru

You have a MS-6154VA Rev 2.x with Bios 1.2

The MS-6154 motherboard family has at least two boards with the same layout but different chipset so VA means VIA-Chipset .

Your board has a OEM-Bios for Network computers - a MSI Retail Bios for MS-6154VA Rev 2.x may work or not - MSI uses Bios 2.1 or higher and you have 1.x - seems to be not compatible .
MSI Retail Bios shows 693A in it's Bios-string so chances are very small it works on your board .

Please use Uniflash and make a backup-copy of your Bios then zip this file and send it to my adress .
I'll have a look at it with our patcher .
Neil

Thanks Denniss. You're right coz there's a 'network' logo in the system unit. I thought network computers is a computer store. Anyway, I'd use the bios patcher by apple_rom and it did now detects the 80G maxtor HD. But there's an error message in Win2k(SP4) somewhere in the 'physical memory' after the system boots up fine then openning some applications. I doudt if this error is cause by the bios or just the memory(sdram) is defective. I still have a lot of scrutinizing here to do for this system to work fine. It would be a greate help if you send me the patch so that I could check out if it resolves the problem.

Neil
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

My previous system was running W2K + the latest Service Pack and I also had a few (only a few) errors in the system logs even after booting. Although I did think that despite this the system had a fairly clean installation and did run quite cleanly.

Probably a good way to determine or elimanate the possibility of hardware causing these errors is to take a spare hard disk that you can wipe, hook it up and do a clean installation to that drive. If you then no longer have errors that you did have on your normal installation, you may have some software corruption (more likely) or configuration issues.

Network Computers is not a store by the way. There are probably some computer stores around the world called Network Computers but usually network computers would more likely refer to computers that are "networked" or linked together using appropriate network cable or newer wireless technology. The idea is to enable computers to communicate with each other through these network connections, and the uses of networking technology are nowadays quite sophisticated.
Neil

Thankz for the reply Ritchie. Actually I made the 80Gb as slave and the Western Digital(45Gb) as primary where the OS, application, etc.. is situated. The problem(MEMORY DUMP ETC..by a certain .sys file of the modem driver) occurs only when ever I'm connected to the internet. It is the bug causes by the driver of DLink internal modem that was explain in the site I came accross to(I already forgot that site). Anymore reply is very much appreciated.
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

I haven't heard of a bug in a modem conflicting with use of certain drive sizes before, but I guess anything is possible.

The only other mention I can offer is that I do not use DLink as I have used them in the past and had a lot of problems with them. I don't consider them to be very reliable products at all. I don't know whether they have improved since that time but it may be a good idea to take this into consideration when you are purchasing new products and just be a bit weary.
drivers

Neil wrote:Good day everybody,
The BIOS CODE

It is an MSI board but i'm confuse with the bios in there site which are ms-6154 and ms-6154va. The board marking is ms-6154 ver: 2.1. Any help would be much appreciated.
THANKZ
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

drivers wrote:
Neil wrote:Good day everybody,
The BIOS CODE

THANKZ
Drivers, did you have somehting you wanted to say??
Tested patched BIOSes. Untested patched BIOSes.
Emails *will* be ignored unless the subject line starts "Wim's BIOS forum"