80GB SATA WD help

BIOS update, EIDE card, or overlay software? (FAQ Hard disk recognition)
kazakan
New visitors - please read the rules.

Well I have a 80GB Western Digital SATA Hard drive. THe problem I am having with it happened shortly after I was online browsing the internet at which point I was on a site where a massive amount of pop-ups started getting blocked and I accidently hit the allow popup button. After this my CPU seemed to be at full capacity and all of it being used when I opened the task manager everything was basically free. I thought a simple restart would fix this but to no avail it made the problem worse. I went to start in safe mode and it would not recognize my hard drive. Then I took it the next step farther and I was going to reformat my whole computer. I put the xp cd in and went to redo it and I tried the repair feature and it says that I have no hard drive installed on the computer. I have used this computer for over a year now with no troubles. I didn't change the sata cable to a different slot. Any help will be greatly appreciated is their a virus or worm that can completely destroy a hard drive
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

You need to feed windows the SATA controller drivers from floppy disk during the text-portion of the install when you can load additional drivers with F6
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...