BIOS update, EIDE card, or overlay software? (FAQ Hard disk recognition)
#54668 by LOKI1999
Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:25 pm
Hello Wim's

I am new to BIOS issues!

As well as a more modern machine I have an ancient Locland 400MHz Pentium II on which I want to use a Seagate 80GB hdd as a second hdd, mainly as a backup. The bios will recognise the drive if it is jumpered to 32GB. Can I use all of the drive?

Several older threads on Wim's mention BIOS strings very similar to the one above. It seems that interfacing with large disks was a recurrent issue with Award BIOS 4.51. From Wim's it looks as if the mainboard must be Jetway, though documentation is lacking now (perhaps lost). However it seems that Jetway have removed or blocked some links to their BIOS updates. There was also some uncertainty about whether the updates they did (previously) provide actually allowed acess to disk space above 32GB. Mr Kuriaki apparently supplied a patched BIOS that one of your users (Neelakantan) seems to have deployed successfully. I have tried to contact Neelakantan via Wim's but perhaps he no longer visits the site (last visit Aug 2007). I understand that sadly Mr Kuriaki died over a year ago.

BIOS etc. details as far as I can ascertain (read from boot screen):

Award Modular BIOS v4.51PG, An Energy Star Ally
Copyright 1984-98, Award Software Inc.
V.7BXAN A01 08-11-1998
Award Plug and Play BIOS Extension v1.0A
07/23/1998-i440BX-W977TF-2A69KJ1CC-00

From updrivers.com I have found
BXAS2D01.BIN (128 KB)
7BXASL01.BIN (256 KB).

Not sure which of these is usable or relevant.

OS is Windows 98. I have the FDISK update from Microsoft support (KB263044).

Any help, commments etc. will be greatly appreciated.

LOKI1999 (David Max)