ASUS 32GB Fix needed for my daughter computer.

BIOS update, EIDE card, or overlay software? (FAQ Hard disk recognition)
cp
BIOS Guru

please read this:
http://www.wimsbios.com/phpBB2/topic8931.html

solution: set the 32GB clipping jumper on the hdd, detect the hdd in the bios and install windows xp(apparently, as you want to use it) on a partition that resides within the 32GB space. after installation update to SP2. the hdd should now be detected with its full size in windows. partition the rest of the hdd with the integrated partition manager. done.
Atte_84
BIOS Newbie

Can this can be done on current installation without having to install OS all over again from scratch with the jumper clip and BIOS HDD detection? My Windows XP CD has integrated SP2 on it.

Can you help me explaining or pointing out which one's the 32GB clipping jumper on the HDD from the picture of the link below? I have DiamondMax9 series hard drive, which is apparently the second bottom row on the picture. My current jumper setting is third from left in the same row ("Cable Select").
http://www.seagate.com/images/support/e ... umpers.gif

edit: I'm apologize for my mistake, after checking I actually had HDD jumper setting not illustrated in the link. I had only one jumper in the "Cap Limit" (32GB clipping jumper?) jumper, which is the extra jumper included in the illustrations with "w/CLJ".
Atte_84
BIOS Newbie

I seemed to have jumper only in the "Cap Limit" jumper. I just added jumper to the Master setting and now I got the drive working as primary master. But it doesn't make a difference with the 32GB restriction. If the Cap Limit jumper, which I have had on all the time, was infact the 32GB clipping jumper you spoke of, that doesn't seem to work, since I'm only seeing total of 32GB of available space on the disk combined after and before I added the missing master jumper.
Atte_84
BIOS Newbie

Could the use of FAT32 for the first 7GB partition for the OS restrict the avalable space for use for the second partition to 25GB even though I use NTFS for that?

...my, I'm not entirely sure if I'm way off line here, since this seems to BIOS dedicated forum. :wink:
cp
BIOS Guru

you should try this tool:
http://www.48bitlba.com/enablebiglbatool.htm

i don't know if the included sp2 did set the env variables correct. anyhow, if the tool doesn't work you could still install the chipset ide drivers.
Atte_84
BIOS Newbie

Thanks for helping me trying to solve the problem. I get passed result with the 48bitlba checking tool. But still 32GB on XP with 80GB Maxtor. I also found the Intel Chipset driverset for 440LX/EX for XP, but on installation it says no need to update the existing files, your OS already provides the chipset support.

Do you mean that after I've done the BIOS HDD detection and installed OS I should remove the cap limit jumper from the HDD? When I shut down the PC and remove the jumper it won't go past the startup system information screen to even begin reading the HDD.
Atte_84
BIOS Newbie

The exact figures from the BIOS HDD autodetection for the 80GB Maxtor are:

Size 33816
Cyls 4111
Head 255
Precomp 0
Landz 65530
Sector 63
Mode LBA
cp
BIOS Guru

no, the jumper has to stay where you put it. it limits the CHS values passed to the bios (or all other software) that doesn't use LBA48 compatible commands to read the size of the drive. it's not that the bios wouldn't be able to handle those values in the first place, but the bios programmers forgot to secure the variables saving those values. while everything was fine below 32GB every thing above 32GB causes those variables to overflow and crash the bios.
the only thing windows has to do is to query the drive using LBA48 compatible commands. did you try 3rd party partitioning tools already?
Atte_84
BIOS Newbie

Tried Partition Logic freeware as bootable CD-ROM image. Not much help... Any other suggestions app-wise?
cp
BIOS Guru

qtparted is a part of Knoppix..you can download a liveCD (no install) from one of the mirrors here:
http://www.knopper.net/knoppix-mirrors/index-en.html

and: yes, knoppix is linux and free. and yes again: it can handle NTFS.
Atte_84
BIOS Newbie

cp wrote:qtparted is a part of Knoppix..you can download a liveCD (no install) from one of the mirrors here:
http://www.knopper.net/knoppix-mirrors/index-en.html

and: yes, knoppix is linux and free. and yes again: it can handle NTFS.
I finally got the ISO dl'd and ran the Linux from the bootable Live-CD. It does recognize the full drive - yyyyyyyyeeehaw! :lol: :lol: But the cheerfull happiness ends soon as I set the partition from the QTParted and after I select format: It says "This is a virtual partition. You cannot alter it: use undo instead".

...need, more, help, please...

I tried to plug in another HDD to Primary master with available space and set the to be partitioned drive to Primary Slave, and then start Linux and try the partitioning. I doesn't help. I thought it would've had something to do the virtual-CD linux reserving space from the unalloceted part of the unpartitioned HDD, if that's even possible. Fool's-hope I guess.
cp
BIOS Guru

why are you using a virtual partition anyway? is there any special reason? if not: copy your data, delete the virtual partition, create a plain old-style partition ;) and copy your data back.
Atte_84
BIOS Newbie

*deleted by poster*
Last edited by Atte_84 on Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Atte_84
BIOS Newbie

this post was somehow left out before the one above:

I believe I'm not using v-partition... I've fdiske'd the blank Maxtor with bootable Win98 SE CD. Then formatted to FAT32 with the same disk. I believe that's should not be virtual...? I don't know if I've done something wrong. I only have one partition now, since I deleted the second NTFS wich allocated only about 24 GB's before I tried to create the new partition with the Linux CD. There I just go to the system menu tree and click to run the QTParted and try to partition the rest of the unallocated space, then it complains that about the virtual partition...and have no idea why so.
Atte_84 wrote:and to add, in the quick process off partitioning with the QTParted there is no hint or mention about making virtual partition.
cp
BIOS Guru

win98se? fat32? what the ..? use cfdisk from the knoppix cd and start with a clean partition table. make sure that your other hdd is NOT connected (physically) or you may end up destroying the data on the wrong hdd.

wiki article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cfdisk
man page of cfdisk:
http://www.ss64.com/bash/cfdisk.html