ASUS 32GB Fix needed for my daughter computer.

BIOS update, EIDE card, or overlay software? (FAQ Hard disk recognition)
Atte_84
BIOS Newbie

cp wrote:win98se? fat32? what the ..?
:lol: I have to use 98SE CD to install it first and then XP over it, since it's CD is only bootable. I could do "clean install" with XP with floppies, but I don't like playing with them anymore. Do you mean that the 6GB FAT32 partition can prohibit the second partition to use no more that 24GB's in NTFS?

But the my method above has worked allways since now. And done it about 20 times. My main PC is running at the moment 6 SATA drives and nearly 2 TB's. So there shouldn't be that much wrong with that. And what comes to the FAT32 for the first partition, I guess it's a left over from back a few days when I used the old PC to run 98SE and XP simultaneusly for retro gaming.
Atte_84
BIOS Newbie

When I open Konsole Terminal Program from the Linux and type cfdisk or cfdisk -z it says "FATAL ERROR: Cannot open disk drive; Press any key to exit cfdisk"
Atte_84
BIOS Newbie

When I type cfdisk -dev I get "Opened disk read-only - you have no permission to write" and after pressing anykey I get the above fatal error text. This is starting to get me...
cp
BIOS Guru

you have to append the correct device name. anyway, forget about it.

get the following cd:
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/index.html

there are plenty partition managers and disc tools on it..happy trashing!
Atte_84
BIOS Newbie

None of the frigging dozen partition tools worked on the UBCD. I mean they all saw the drive as 20Gb or sumthing like that. I'm getting a little pissed right now... 8O how could something be so impossible.

I messed up with the qtparted a little more. I deleted my primary partition deliberately and tried to create them from scratch. Every partition created with it it says it cannot format them being virtual, but at least it get's the size right. It also doesn't save the partition information when it's restarted.
cp
BIOS Guru

you can also use the gparted live cd:
http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php

or the system rescue cd:
http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page

or you can even BUY partition magic:
http://www.symantec.com/norton/products ... &pvid=pm80
Atte_84
BIOS Newbie

Thanks for you help. Much appreciated.

It seems it can't be done. Today morning I took the HDD off to my primary computer. With the cap limit jumper it behaves exactly the same. Windows XP won't recognize the HDD but only to extent of 32GB, even installing the newest MaxBlast does the same. Taking off the cap limit jumper it seems to work perfectly. That seems to be the only way. Can't really know why the Linux knows the size right, though it cannot do anything with it besides complaing it being virtual. I even tried to partition and format it without the cap limit jumper to it's right measurements and then attach it back to the old PC with the jumper back in place. It just won't work at all then. That said it seems pretty sure that Maxtor's cap limit jumper really restricts permanently the use of the drive's full capaticity with the jumper on.

My only option seems to be a chanche to get working BIOS or buy an PCI IDE card. They seem to go 19,90€ cheapest...
cp
BIOS Guru

That seems to be the only way.
Erm..no.
Can't really know why the Linux knows the size right, though it cannot do anything with it besides complaing it being virtual.
I know why Linux knows the right size: It is asking for the right size. If you need to partition the drive under Linux my advice is: learn how devices are managed in Linux and append the correct device to the cfdisk command. There are plenty HOWTOs out there, so i will not bother explaining anything about that here.
That said it seems pretty sure that Maxtor's cap limit jumper really restricts permanently the use of the drive's full capaticity with the jumper on.
No. The cap limit jumper just reports a wrong size (on purpose) to all programs NOT asking for its LBA48 size. The reason (and that's the only reason) is that the correct size just would crash badly written software (BIOS, Windows 95/98/ME to name just a few). Windows XP SP2 SHOULD (according to Microsoft) ask for the LBA48 size. LBA48 is not related to any BIOS version or function and does not require a special chipset function.. It is just a transparent command set addon to the ATAPI standard. Every device will set a bit that shows if it does support this command set or not. Everything else is up to the OS and its underlying drivers.
Atte_84
BIOS Newbie

Ok. Even Norton Partition Magic 8 handles the drive as 32GB in Windows XP.

Admit it. It can't be done. :wink: