Asus P2B-DS Supports up to at least 64GB

BIOS update, EIDE card, or overlay software? (FAQ Hard disk recognition)
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

Asus P2B-DS - BIOS Release 1013 - Supports up to 64GB at least (32GB bug patched)
- BIOS Release 1009 - Contains 32GB bug.

I attempted to install a WD 7200 RPM 60GB HDD under the 1009 version BIOS that was present on the board when I obtained the system, and could not get it to recognise the drive. Once I flashed to the 1009 version BIOS it was recognised no problems. This is using the release on Asus's website. I don't know whether the 64GB bug is patched (ie: whether the BIOS will recognised up to 128GB).

Just thought I'd post this information in case it is helpful to anyone else with this board.
Denniss
BIOS Guru

The latest P2B-series Bios should support HDD up to 128GB assuming you really use the latest Beta .
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

This is off-original topic a little but now I am looking to update the old ISA sound card in this system to a PCI card.

Does anyone know what PCI revision this board supports?
Denniss
BIOS Guru

AFAIK PCI 2.1
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

I keep on forgetting what that AFAIK abbreviation stands for. But I know it is not good to recieve a message with AFAIK.

Anyway, an update. PCI 2.1 confirmed what I suspected, and a hunt followed where I located a card I could purchase that was compatible with PCI 2.1.

The good news is I found one. Taken a bit of time and frustration. The time was in finding one that was compatible with PCI 2.1. The frustration was having to find several cards compatible with PCI 2.1 because the first cards I found that were compatabile with PCI 2.1 were not obtainable through my suppliers.

But I went to Aopen's website and they have four current model sound cards that are comptabile with PCI 2.1 and PCI 2.2.

So I have now obtained the card, but still have to install it. I will not be fully satisfied that the card is comptatible until I sucessfully install it but I will report back on this once this is done.

Thankyou to Denniss for his advise on the PCI revision.
ajzchips
El cheapo dude

Ritchie, AFAIK = As Far As I Know , not impolite at all.
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

Hi AJZ - Didn't think at all that you were being impolite. I actually had in my mind that it stood for something completely different. Thanks for letting me know about AFAIK - Now I will try to remember it!
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

I realise this is getting off-topic a little, but now I am looking for a good PCI video card that will be compatible with PCI 2.1 on this board. AGP is not possible because the cards available to me do not go back to the AGP 2X of this board.

Does anybody know whether this HIS card would go back to PCI 2.1, or how I could find out?

H925H128-1TOP

http://www.hisdigital.com/html/product_ ... 6&view=yes

Note: This website is very slow. The best way to access it is to go to http://www.hisdigital.com/html/support.htm, then Products, Desktop Graphic Cards, then PCI, 9250 128MB 128bit PCI
Denniss
BIOS Guru

Try to get GF4 Ti4200 (avoid GF4MX) or Radeon 8500/9100 or even 9500 cards as they are backwards compatible to AGP2x/3.3V