AZZA board Award Bios

BIOS update, EIDE card, or overlay software? (FAQ Hard disk recognition)
coolhandluke
New visitors - please read the rules.

The board in question is Azza pt-5vmd and I'm next to postive that it was the 09/27/2000 bios update that was listed during post (I had the string written down but have lost it)
I'm sorry I don't have the board, it's something I was helping a friend at school work on. The main reason I'm posting without that info is (I believe) I have enough info to see if there is a fix available at all. To start with I did research online the board manufacturers site no longer exists (ie I assume they are out of business), next I'm pretty sure that the problem is the 33.8 GB limitation as I have sucessfully booted multiple drives below that level but anything I've tried 40 GB and above hangs in post or if I go to bios in autodetect. If necessary I can get the id string again. If it is likely that there is a patch that will work for this board/bios/problem and the info is needed I will have my friend bring the machine back into school and post from there, my other option (not nearly as appealing) is to use western digitals tool to trick the bios (whatever they replaced EZ-drive with)

Thanks all in advance for any help and sorry again for the lack of info.
pilgrimage

KURIAKI

coolhandluke wrote:The board in question is Azza pt-5vmd and I'm next to postive that it was the 09/27/2000 bios update that was listed during post (I had the string written down but have lost it)
I'm sorry I don't have the board, it's something I was helping a friend at school work on. The main reason I'm posting without that info is (I believe) I have enough info to see if there is a fix available at all. To start with I did research online the board manufacturers site no longer exists (ie I assume they are out of business), next I'm pretty sure that the problem is the 33.8 GB limitation as I have sucessfully booted multiple drives below that level but anything I've tried 40 GB and above hangs in post or if I go to bios in autodetect. If necessary I can get the id string again. If it is likely that there is a patch that will work for this board/bios/problem and the info is needed I will have my friend bring the machine back into school and post from there, my other option (not nearly as appealing) is to use western digitals tool to trick the bios (whatever they replaced EZ-drive with)
Searching for Main Block...Found at 0
Searching for end of last block...Found at 104756
Decompressing Main Block...Decompressed 86093 bytes into 131072 bytes
BIOS ID string: 09/27/2000-VP3-586B-W877-2A5LEP8FC-00
BIOS OEM string: 09/27/2000 W83877 FOR 5VMD (Y2K READY)
INT13h Extensions...Present: new-style
=> BIOS already supports HDDs over 32GB!
Searching for size calculation routine...Not found
Searching for SETUP size calculation routine...Not found
Searching for XGroup Block...Found at 86095
Searching for end of last block...Found at 104756
Decompressing XGroup Block...Decompressed 14663 bytes into 21744 bytes
Searching for size calculation routine...is already OK
Searching for SETUP size calculation routine...is already OK
BIOS already supports HDDs over 32GB & 64GB - Nothing to do!

And there no BIOS updates for it.
More than 100,000 BIOS strings in my database just now!
http:/ /www.kuriaki.has.it/
http:/ /www.supportbios.info
------------------------------------------
Saludos desde Cancun, Mexico
KURIAKI
coolhandluke

ok and I accept your analysis, can anybody give me any help then with the problem ie what it might be. For a recap I can boot 20 Gig drives all day long I stick a 40 in as master and it hangs in post, hangs as in stops dead and goes no further, or more accurately it hangs during autodetect of hdd wether in boot or cmos setup.

Thanks for the help so far and any other help you can offer.

P.S. Read 40 as 40 and above I have tried more than 1 drive in either size range with identical results on either side.
Denniss
BIOS Guru

Try to clear CMOS, then load Setup defaults in Bios. Maybe there's stil some configuration information from the old Bios active.

If these drives are WD drives then plase their configuration jumpers, the has a special Single-Master setting, MAster/Slave onl needed with two drives on the same cable.

Maybe this Bios has an unknown 32Gb Bug inside requiring to try a patch with http://www.rom.by Bios patcher.