BIOS stopped recognizing my HDD but other machine does

BIOS update, EIDE card, or overlay software? (FAQ Hard disk recognition)
solomon2
New visitors - please read the rules.

Anyone know why my HDD is no longer recognized? I have a PC Chips M830LR MB and my BIOS ID is 62-1215-001131-00101111-040201-SiS735
System BIOS is American Megatrends 07.00T with an Althon 1800 processor installed. The chipset is SiS735.

My tale of woe: I installed a Seagate 500 Gb pata HDD (mod. No. 3500630A) in December and it was working fine. After rebooting the machine around a week ago it reported that a "disk read error occured" [cntrl alt del to restart].

After that the BIOS was reporting that the drive capacity was 140 GB (which is the amount of used space on it). So I tested the drive with Seatools and it passed all tests with no errors. Then I put it in my wife's e-machine and it recognized the entire drive capacity but I still couldn't boot from the drive. I copied XP over to my (former) slave drive (Maxtor 80 Gb) from the e-machine (a drive that I had unfortunately reformatted after I installed the seagate to free up space) and then copied over my data files (but still have loads of program files and other stuff on it as well).

Now I'm running the Maxtor as master and when I attempt to slave the Seagate in my machine XP reports that the drive is not formatted (but I can still access the entire drive on the e-machine).

Anyone have any idea what's going on?. I'd really like to avoid reformatting the drive if possible.
Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have worked on this for days.

Thanks,

Ken
solomon2
New visitors - please read the rules.

To update: After loading the 8 billion updates from MS I can now see the drive from explorer on my machine and it shows the full capacity. But the original problem still exists when I try and boot from it -- BIOS shows 140 GB and same error message "disk read error occured."

Thanks,

Ken