can't boot into windows!

BIOS update, EIDE card, or overlay software? (FAQ Hard disk recognition)
Kevin
BIOS Newbie

I have a sony vaio pcv-rs530g computer and I recently updated the bios. After trying to use system recovery to restore my computer to its orignal state, I get a message saying file SETUPREG.HIV could not be loaded. After inserting my recovery cd, the message is gone, but the computer says the model is not correct. Is there a way to reset my bios?
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

the recovery cd does not see this as a sony machine. where did you get the bios update from?
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
Kevin
BIOS Newbie

Well, I got the update from the sony website. however, windows crashed during the update so i used the amiboot.rom thing. I got the file via email from someone here. http://www.wimsbios.com/phpBB2/topic9039.html. I talked to sony and they said the recovery cd needs to match the bios. I also can't boot into windows because whenever i turn on the computer, it tries to do a system recovery. there's always the error saying SETUPREG.HIV could not be loaded. does anyone know how i can boot to windows?
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

File setupreg.hiv could not be loaded.
The error code is ?????
What is the error message number? It is complaining about missing setup files for some reason, I'm trying to find out if that is because you removed the recovery partition or because the recovery CD is faulty.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

Kevin
BIOS Newbie

The error code is 4.
Kevin
BIOS Newbie

please help! my computer tries to system recovery whenever i turn on the computer! how do i boot to windows?
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

this means it can't find the CD. I think the idea is to put in the recovery CD but tell the system to boot from harddisk. That might work.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

Kevin
BIOS Newbie

sorry, but your idea didn't work. If I put the cd in the hard drive, the error code is gone, which makes sense. However, no matter where I boot from, the computer insists to do a system recovery. It always says the model is not correct, but that's because i updated the bios. Does anyone have an updated system recovery iso image for sony pcv-rs530g? or knows where I can get one? Or any other solutions to boot to windows?
KachiWachi
The New Guy

This sounds like something Sony needs to address.
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

Yep. I'm not sure if it's the bios string that has gone haywire or the recovery disk that is for the wrong model, the end result is no match and no restore...
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

Kevin
BIOS Newbie

So the only way is to take it to sony? I can't restore my old bios?
KachiWachi
The New Guy

I don't see why not...assuming you saved it that is. :wink:
Kevin
BIOS Newbie

Uh oh, I don't have my old bios file, only my new one. Can anyone help me find the original BIOS for a Sony PCV-RS530G computer? I also have 2 recovery disks, which might contain the bios somewhere in there. I could upload an ISO image of them somewhere, if some one would be willing to look at them, sorry I can't do it myself, I'm not good with computers. On a side note, do you know how to restore my old bios? I thought I could curropt my bios and then do the amiboot.rom trick. Only, how do I curropt my bios....
KachiWachi
The New Guy

You should be able to get it from Sony.

Thanks.
Kevin
BIOS Newbie

no, they wouldn't give it to me