CMD Ultra DMA 100 EIDE Controller & Power Mgt

BIOS update, EIDE card, or overlay software? (FAQ Hard disk recognition)
Alan_UK
BIOS Newbie

Hi

I've installed a CMD PCI 0649 ATA-100 Ultra DMA EIDE Controller card. It's working fine except that it's not powering down after the set period of inactivity. I'm running Win98SE and the screen is going off so I know the Power Mgt function is working at least in some respect.

CMD has been taken over, I believe, by Silicon Image but their web site makes no mention of this model of card (or any PATA) and refers visitors to the OEM. Unfortunately the OEM is not mentioned on the manual or the box. A Google search has proved fruitless.

The feature list makes no mention of power mgt but does mention it's Plug -n-Play 2.1 compliant.

Does anyone know whether this card supports Power Mgt or can be updated via a driver or bios change? Or where I could go to find this out?

Many thanks for reading.
Alan_UK
BIOS Newbie

Hi Denniss

I had already downloaded 3.18 but your link was for 3.21 so I tried that but it makes no difference.

I got the card from Maplin. They don't do the 100 anymore but their description for the 133http://www.maplin.co.uk/SEODynamicPages ... odNo=32106 says "Full support ACPI for advanced system power management" whereas my box and manual does not mention this feature. Whether this feature is related to electronics or just to firmware (and if firmware, can it be updated) I've no idea.

Anyway, slightly bigger worries. Switched the PC on to upgrade the driver and the ATA-100 failed to recognise any drives (HD or CD). Switch it off & on twice before it would work. Whether that is due to yesterday's change of memory settings I don't know (SDRAM Cycle Length from 3 to 2; Cache Timings from Fast to Fastest).