COMPAQ ARMADA 110 Series....BIOS WON'T READ A HDD

BIOS update, EIDE card, or overlay software? (FAQ Hard disk recognition)
llbigdomll
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hello All,

I do not know much about computers, but I do know a little...I have a problem with my laptop....It is an Compaq Armada 110, I recieved it from Detroit Public School, because I am a teacher from Detroit, Michigan...We recieved the laptop over 5 years ago....I really never used it much, but now I thought I could get some use out of it...I turn it on and it says "Operating System Not Found"...I looked in the BIOS and it says under Primary Master: NONE, but under Secondary Master: CD-ROM..., and I go to click on Primary Master the only choice is AUTO....it will not let me change it....On the side it says "All items on this menu cannot be modified in user mode. If any items require changes, please consult your system supervisor".....well I know these computers aren't wanted back by DPS, and they do not have anyone that can help me.....IF ANYONE KNOWS HOW TO HELP ME, IT IS GREATLY APPRECIATED...THANKS!!
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

I suspect a failing hard disk.

If you can get to the drive maybe try reseating it and that all the connections are making good contact. Also if you have a compatible drive you could try that.
llbigdomll
New visitors - please read the rules.

I bought a new compatible hdd, and I connected it and everything...still no luck :(
KachiWachi
The New Guy

"All items on this menu cannot be modified in user mode. If any items require changes, please consult your system supervisor" -

Sounds like you will need the school IT person to unlock your BIOS so you can set things to your liking.
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

I don't think unlocking the BIOS will help.

The setting for the Primary Master is AUTO and this should detect any compatible drive that is connected and jumpered correctly. I am assuming nothing configuration wise changed since the drive was last detected so it seems that something has either failed or been damaged.

In my experience, if a drive will not autodetect it will not work properly with a manual setting either.
KachiWachi
The New Guy

Boot from a floppy/CD and test the HDD/Configuration that way?