40 GB : DFI P5BTX/L Rev. B

BIOS update, EIDE card, or overlay software? (FAQ Hard disk recognition)
trysting
BIOS Newbie

G'day,

I was helping a mate with his computer and was going to add a 40 gig Quantum Fireball Plus AS HDD (split to two partitions), but it wouldnt show up in the BIOS. I went to DFI for an updated BIOS (the latest dated as 1998/07/03) but it didnt help at all, so I was wondering if any of the BIOS guru's in here could have a look at the BIOS and let me know if it can be patched (and patch it if it isnt too much trouble).

If needed here is the link for the latest BIOS - http://www.dfi.com.tw/Upload/BIOS/5txl0703.zip

Thanks in advance.
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

Edwin has patched that BIOS - you can find an untested version at http://wims.rainbow-software.org/edwin/. Please let us know how it worked. (It's possible Rainbow patched it for mbs last year (here) but never got any feedback).
Last edited by NickS on Thu Oct 09, 2003 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trysting
BIOS Newbie

Thanks for the reply NickS,

Each time I click on the link for the untested version it comes up saying I'm not authorized to view the page.

As to the other link I read that before posting this topic although I didn't see a link for the patched BIOS so hopefully if Rainbow still has it he wouldn't mind sending it my way.

Thanks again.
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

Sorry about the link to edwin - try again now that I have fixed it - it needed a closing /
trysting
BIOS Newbie

Thanks again NickS the link worked fine this time.

I'll let you know how it went in a day or so.

One other question, do I need to use that uniflasher for this or can I use the awardflash that came with the original BIOS?
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

Either way should work, the award flasher might give a warning about non-matching string if so, use uniflash.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
trysting
BIOS Newbie

Well I won't be able to let you know how this BIOS goes as I haven't gotten the go ahead to flash it unfortunately. When I get a spare computer up and running (as a backup for my mate just in case something goes wrong) I should be then able to do the flash and let you all know how it went.

Thanks for the help everyone.