Hard drive isn't recognized

BIOS update, EIDE card, or overlay software? (FAQ Hard disk recognition)
KarlV
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hello everyone!

I'm new to this site and it seems like a great place with great people and good information. It was searching Google for my BIOS-ID and ended up here. It is like this that I'm trying to get an old computer I have sitting here accepting this spare 80 GB IDE HDD i have. I had this problem with another computer and limit the drives capacity worked in that case. It actually works with this computer too, just tried it. But if it's possible, I would like to use those 80 Gigabytes instead of limiting the capacity. It gets increasingly harder to find small drives for older computer. You are very lucky to find a 40 GB disk today and 80 is almost gone too. This causes a big problem for us using and refurbishing old computers.

Anyway. I would like to see if there is any way for me to update the BIOS. I have been looking around on this page and to find out what information is required. This computer was build by a small manufacturer in Sweden in 1998 and is since long gone. Probably with the DOT.COM crash. Here is the information I have gathered.

I come from a world where manual update of the BIOS outside of Windows never has been necessary. So I would appreciate any help. I do have floppys available. Oddly enough. Most stores are still selling those ^^

Karl - Sweden

---------------------------------------------------------------
ROM PCI/ISA BIOS (2A69KF09)

Award Modular BIOS v4.60PGMA, An Energy Star Ally
Copyright (C) 1984-98. Award Software, Inc.
Version 1.15ME11

Pentium II-MXX CPU at 400MHz
07/03/1998-i440BX-2A69KF09C-00
----------------------------------------------------------------
Denniss
BIOS Guru

FIC VB-601

Latest Bios of the ME-version Bios path:
ftp://ftp.fic.com.tw/motherboard/bios/s ... ME4118.ZIP
KarlV
New visitors - please read the rules.

Thanks for the replay!
I have not been able to check back before now. Have had allot to do.
Exactly how did you identify the correct BIOS version I have to use? I'm still a little bit unsure even after reading the guides on the site. if you feel like you want to explaining it, I would really appreciate it.

So now when I got the correct BIOS upgrade. How do I apply it?
I have never flashed BIOS manually before.
Denniss
BIOS Guru

The Bios-ID is known for your board. The FIC Bios version indicator 1.15ME11 told me that you need a ME Bios and not an MC or MI Bios as used for the same motherboard but with a different PCB/Board revision.