no hdd's being picked up

BIOS update, EIDE card, or overlay software? (FAQ Hard disk recognition)
Joker
New visitors - please read the rules.

i was recently fixing my brothers old computer, and in doing so removed my own secondary hdd that i use for music, and now that i try and put it back in my computer it doesnt get recognized. i've plugged it in exactly how it was, i've changed the ide cable with a brand new out of the packet asus one that i had, i've even tried every single jumper setting and nothing. i tried plugging in a brand new drive and that wont get recognized either. can anyone help?

here are the specs:

- ibm netvista / ibm bios
- original 2nd HDD = Maxtor N256 10gb.
- new hdd = Samsung SP4002H 40gb
- 2 IDE ports on M/B, one going straight to main HDD, 2nd going to cd burner with 2nd HDD inbetween. also i should note that the cd gets recognized every time.

also, upon looking at the model names, i noticed that the original 2nd hdd doesnt seem to be doing anything when plugged in, but the new samsung hdd seems to be vibrating like its on, but not recognized.

any help/advice would be greatly appreciated, cause this is frustrating the hell out of me! =D
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

Hi, Joker, sorry for the delay.
If the CD-ROM is being recognised and the jumper settings don't make any difference, I would suspect the cable. Have you tried plugging the drive into the primary controller?
Tested patched BIOSes. Untested patched BIOSes.
Emails *will* be ignored unless the subject line starts "Wim's BIOS forum"
Ascii2
BIOS Rookie

If cabling is not the problem and a defect does not exist, the problem may possibly be resolved by cleariring the CMOS (has worked for me on Intel brand boards before).