IBM IntelliStation (Type 6214) and booting devices sequence

BIOS update, EIDE card, or overlay software? (FAQ Hard disk recognition)
zillah
New visitors - please read the rules.

I have got this PC:

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site. ... MIGR-39510

I am not sure what type of BOIS does it have.

Each PC (At work we have got many)has got two HDs,,,,,,Master (Segate) and Slave (Western Digital) connected to one ribbon cable to IDE0,,,,and CD Rom connected to IDE1.

When I booted the system there are two option

Press F1 for setup

Press F12 for startup Device Menu.

If I choose F1 for Setup,,,,the BIOS main Menu has got these options :

Code: Select all

Main      Devices    Startup     Advanced     Security    Power    Exit
A- If I choose "Devices",,,the only option related to my question is : "IDE Drive Setup"

IDE Drive 0
IDE Drive 1
IDE Drive 2
IDE Drive 3

IDE Drive 0 and IDE Drive 1 for HDs master and slave respectively,,,,, IDE Drive 2 for CD Rom.

B- If I choose "Startup",,,,the only option related to my question is :
" Startup Device Menu Prompt--------[Enabled] ".
You can see, it is only Enabled or Disabled.

If you highlight the "Startup Device Menu Prompt--------[Enabled]" and read the Item Specific help that BIOS provides,,,,,,it says:

"This option allows the Startup Device Menu to be displayed by pressing F12 after the system is turned on. The Startup Device Menu allows the squence of startup device to be temporairly changed ".

How can I change the order of the booting devices,,,, IDE Drive 1 before IDE Drive 0 ?,,,because I can not see any option in the BIOS to help me out.

C- I tried F12

1- +Removable Devices

2- CD-ROM Drive

3- +Hard Disk---------If I choose this there are no options to choose the desired hard disk

Why do we have plus sign in foront of option 1 and 3
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

The hard drive that you intend to regularly boot from should be pri master, or IDE 0.

If you need to select a different boot hard drive, it looks like the + symbol you query means there are more than one boot device in the category. Since you have two hard drives, a + symbol is shown. Since multiple boot devices in categories are indicated, you would expect that a provision for selecting from within that category is available. Try different keys, including the + symbol, to see what happens.
Yaye
BIOS Rookie

Also try, if you can, to change in "Devices" --> "IDE Drive Setup" the order of the IDE Drives.

Try to select IDE Drive 1 for example and changing its position by pressing + or - on the keyboard or try also Page-Up, Page-Down keys or Up-Arrow, Down-Arrow keys.

Sometimes the boot follows the order of the devices from top to bottom like you see in "IDE Drive Setup", so you must only set on the first position the IDE Drive 1 and then the IDE Drive 0.