Need drivers for SATA

BIOS update, EIDE card, or overlay software? (FAQ Hard disk recognition)
Rob_D
BIOS Newbie

Sorry, an error in my previous post. It was already on cable select before. I changed to master, but no difference. Still can't see the drive...
Rob_D
BIOS Newbie

in the BIOS CMOS setup util the OnChip SATA controller is enabled. Should I turn this off then?
Rob_D
BIOS Newbie

OnChip SATA controller disabled didn't work either...
Rob_D
BIOS Newbie

OK. I've spent too much time on this.
How about if I buy a new HDD? Should I get a particular type?
Rob_D
BIOS Newbie

OK. I've downloaded the IDE drivers for the mobo from the same site where I originally downloaded the SATA drivers. Will let you know how I get on.

The reason I thought the HDD was SATA is from info I got from the web. I should have opened up the box first!
Rob_D
BIOS Newbie

The last download and transfer to floppy did not work either...
Rob_D
BIOS Newbie

Is there another place to find the drivers I need?
Denniss
BIOS Guru

You should not need drivers, Windows has them all. But your Bios should be able to detect this drive without problems unless something does not work.

Do you hear your drive actually spinning, powering up ? If not check the power cables.

Does your Bios detect the drive? If it does not detect your drive then try the Bios autodetect funktion.

Make sure the cable is correctly installed, blue end to board and black end to Maxtor drive. Set Maxtor to Cable-Select. Try both the primary IDE connector as well as the secondary connector, maybe one of them is bad.
Rob_D
BIOS Newbie

The hard drive definitely spins up. I can copy files to it and navigate around the folders etc. Maybe there is a problem with the ribbon cable - I'll swop it with another. It's rather strange though. It was fine before I formatted the drive... except for the fact that the OS was hijacked by bogus anti-spyware.

The only difference is that I disconnected the secondary drive - so I'll swop using that cable.

Thanks for your continuing help.
Denniss
BIOS Guru

If your drive is jumpered as single-master and doesn't have a slave drive attached it may produce problems.

If you have been infected by malware make sure the drive is clean. There are several Linux CD/DVD images with a recent antivirus inluded. Especially make sure your second drive is not infected, too.
Rob_D
BIOS Newbie

There is a bad sector on the primary drive so I have removed both the maxtors and trying an old Western Digital WD400 (primary partition formatted FAT32 - left the extended partition as NTFS).

Western Digital WD400 HDD still not seen by set up - so I guess I need more BIOS drivers for this? Is it possible that the BIOS is infected?

I have tried it with "Cable Select" and "Single or Master" settings - no difference...
cp
BIOS Guru

i've been reading this thread for a while now. look, the thing you need to do is:
connect a HDD jumpered as master or slave to the primary ide port. connect a cd-rom jumpered as master or slave to the secondary ide port. power the machine on and enter the bios. now your hdd and the cdrom should already show up somewhere in the bios. if something doesn't auto detect the drive in the bios. if it still doesn't show up: replace it with a working one.
select cd-rom as 1st boot device. exit and save the changes you made. insert the installation cd and boot it. that's all.
Western Digital WD400 HDD still not seen by set up - so I guess I need more BIOS drivers for this?
no. if it isn't auto-detected in the bios check the cabling, the jumpers and hear if it spins up. if it still doesn't show up replace it with a working hdd.
Is it possible that the BIOS is infected?
no. impossible yet. there is no such thing as a bios virus. even the infamous (urban legend) CIH could only overwrite the bios with just garbage on 1 (in words ONE) special chipset (the Intel 430TX fyi).
If you email me include [WIMSBIOS] in the subject.
Denniss
BIOS Guru

Something to remember:
WD drives usually do not work if jumpered as master without another drive attached as Slave on this cable. They require the single-Master setting (AFAIK jumper off, check jumper tables printed onto the HDD).
This may also apply to the Maxtor drive.

Every HDD manufacturer should offer some kind of HDD test/Diagnose software that's able to fully check your drives and also to fully erase them or just blank the first sector(s).
Rob_D
BIOS Newbie

fdisk shows WD drive. I can format etc.

Partition info is
Partition 1, Status A, Type PRI DOS, 10245 MB, System FAT32, USAGE 27%
Partition 2, Status (BLANK) , Type NTFS, 27918MB, System (BLANK), USAGE 73%

When PC boots the initial screen shows the drive, it is listed as WD etc....

I can boot from A: drive and navigate to C: drive where there are temp set up files.

Now I get the error: "A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your
Computer.
If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer.
If this screen appears again, follow thease steps:

Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and
terminated. Run chkdisk/f to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical information: STOP: 0x0000007B"
Rob_D
BIOS Newbie

Denniss wrote:Something to remember:
WD drives usually do not work if jumpered as master without another drive attached as Slave on this cable. They require the single-Master setting (AFAIK jumper off, check jumper tables printed onto the HDD).
This may also apply to the Maxtor drive.

Every HDD manufacturer should offer some kind of HDD test/Diagnose software that's able to fully check your drives and also to fully erase them or just blank the first sector(s).
I have looked at the jumper settings: Jumper off for single or master.