Need drivers for SATA

BIOS update, EIDE card, or overlay software? (FAQ Hard disk recognition)
Rob_D
BIOS Newbie

cp wrote:i've been reading this thread for a while now. look, the thing you need to do is:
connect a HDD jumpered as master or slave to the primary ide port. connect a cd-rom jumpered as master or slave to the secondary ide port. power the machine on and enter the bios. now your hdd and the cdrom should already show up somewhere in the bios. if something doesn't auto detect the drive in the bios. if it still doesn't show up: replace it with a working one.
select cd-rom as 1st boot device. exit and save the changes you made. insert the installation cd and boot it. that's all.
This gave me a clue. I bypassed a board that has two IDE ports and went directly to a single IDE port on the mobo - and now it's working...

I am going to try it with the Maxtor HDD now.

Many thanks both of you for your patience and good advice...
Rob_D
BIOS Newbie

Working with the Maxtor too now...

I feel such an idiot for not looking at the other available ports on the mobo...
Denniss
BIOS Guru

Rob_D
BIOS Newbie

It worked.

From what I can see the expansion board, which provides two extra IDE ports, was not recognised after I formatted the HDDs.

By using the single available IDE port on the mobo the Maxtor HDD was visible and therefore I was able to do a clean install of XP.

Thanks again for your support.
Denniss
BIOS Guru

Rob_D wrote:From what I can see the expansion board, which provides two extra IDE ports, was not recognised after I formatted the HDDs.
That's something you should have told us in the first post - it's quite different if you use the motherboard IDE or an extra card.
Rob_D
BIOS Newbie

Denniss wrote:
Rob_D wrote:From what I can see the expansion board, which provides two extra IDE ports, was not recognised after I formatted the HDDs.
That's something you should have told us in the first post - it's quite different if you use the motherboard IDE or an extra card.
Yes, I realise that now...