Newer 1998 BIOS for PC Chips M5x series?

BIOS update, EIDE card, or overlay software? (FAQ Hard disk recognition)
agus2009
New visitors - please read the rules.

I try the Deniss's metod but without any result.

@ Deniss

a different version of what? bios or flash?

thx!
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

flash utility. you might even want to use uniflash

http://www.uniflash.org
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
Denniss
BIOS Guru

You Award Flashproh should identify the Flashrom properly - what model did your flashprog detect ?

Check Uniflash documentation, there's an option to force a specify Flashrom ID.

Check your Board for a flash voltage select jumper, usually somewhere near the Flashrom. With a H.T. Flashrom (peel off the Award label to see what's written onto it) it must be set to 12V.
rmay635703
Chip off the ol' block

Kachi, I had a similar problem but with "power leakage" near the keyboard control section of a proprietary computer photography system. (aka QLT Futura 100) The system was inop and I had spares and could see no way of repairing the board save removing that entire section and reconstructing.

What I did and it worked (albeit with lots of jumpering) Is I isolated the section of the board as best as I could (just the traces associated) cutting traces that might be connected to other critical sections and removing chips that might fry. I then chose an area closest to where I thought the leakage between the two power sections was (that were supposed to be separate) and hooked up opposite poles of a 24v battery to each side and I blew up a small piece of the circuit board (it phyically blew a hole in the area with a big pop) I then proceded to drill out the area and jumper and solder all the butchering I did in the area and reseat all the chips I removed in the area.

How badly do you want to find the leak? If its just a simple trace bridging the planes and NOT a big solder plane a "SAFE" momentary voltage is a common 9v battery, just remember that you need to remove any current paths that are necessary, sometimes there are none between the planes and no connection with chips, other times you may need to unsolder VRMs and such or break a ground trace that may lead through something blowing it out. Its not pretty but this technic does work, although you may end up with a lot of work if you don't verify isolation and blow up things that aren't supposed to blow up.

Good Luck
KachiWachi wrote:I was going to ask you to do this at one time, but I found out that my Amptron PM 7900 (M520 clone) has a short in the VCore - V I/O circuit...so I cannot power a split-plane CPU. :(

I even bought a VRM module too. :(

I'd still be interested in this at some point...if and when I can find the short.

Thanks.
KachiWachi
The New Guy

That project is on the back burner.

I have much bigger fish to fry at the moment. :wink:

Thanks.