Problems after using PX5_GPx.BIN to flash Abit PX5 m/board

BIOS update, EIDE card, or overlay software? (FAQ Hard disk recognition)
rmdaber
BIOS Newbie

I've recently flashed my Abit PX5 with PX5_GPx.BIN (downloaded from http://wims.rainbow-software.org ) using AWDFLASH (from Abit site), and have encountered a problem with IDE detection... it only detects the primary master. :(

HDD's over 32Gb are recongnised fine.. brilliant - the update solved that problem :) .

When I enter setup and run "auto detect HDD" it hangs. It also hangs when I enter the standard CMOS setup. This happens whether I use old HDD or new (Seagate 40Gb) HDD. In both cases it is possible to boot from floppy (XP boot floppy), but CD-ROM is not seen. The other BIOS features seem OK

With the old HDD back in, the O/S still boots fine (NT4 wrkstn) and CD-ROM can be accessed from the O/S.

Since the upgrade I can no longer boot from CD-ROM, and thus cannot install O/S on new HDD.

I flashed using command: " A:\> awdflash PX5_GPx.BIN /py /sn /cd /cp /cc /cks /R ".

I had a cup of Tea while the CMOS discharged.

One thing I noticed was that the GPx file is 128kb, and the original GP file is 106kb.

Can any one help?
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

only detects primary master
Is that affected by the size of HDD in various positions, or can it really only detect one drive - full stop ?
Since the upgrade I can no longer boot from CD-ROM, and thus cannot install O/S on new HDD.
There is a theoretical possibility that the patch can affect detection of some CD media. You may have just proved it...
One thing I noticed was that the GPx file is 128kb, and the original GP file is 106kb.
All BIOS image files are 128KBx 2^n in size. The 106KB file will have been compressed.
However, the wrong file may be posted; there were two patched versions, one with AWD64GB and one with bp. I think you need the one with bp.
rmdaber
BIOS Newbie

Is that affected by the size of HDD in various positions, or can it really only detect one drive - full stop ?
The size of HDD doesn't matter. It will only detect when the device is connected to the primary IDE and configured as master. For instance if I connect the CD-ROM (no other drives connected) as primary master it will detect it, but if I then change the jumper to slave it will not. The same is true for the HDD. If I connect the HDD or CD-ROM to the secondary IDE, as master or slave it will not be detected.
There is a theoretical possibility that the patch can affect detection of some CD media. You may have just proved it...
As the CD-ROM is detected when connected as primary master, do you think this still holds?
All BIOS image files are 128KBx 2^n in size. The 106KB file will have been compressed.
However, the wrong file may be posted; there were two patched versions, one with AWD64GB and one with bp. I think you need the one with bp.
How can I tell , which version I have? And how do I get hold of "bp"?

I also have an Abit LX6 that I would like to update and I notice that there is a bios (12/21/1999-i440LX-W977TF-2A69JA1AC-00) at http://wims.rainbow-software.org . Are there any issues with this bios and is it OK to use the awdflasher from Abit?

Cheers.
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

Did you check your email ? I sent you the "bp" version which has a different string:
GREEN PCI/ISA SYSTEM (Abit AX5/PX5) with bp patch
and the binary file name is px_gpbp.bin instead of px5_gpx.bin.
I've also replaced the version at http://wims.rainbow-software.org by the bp version, though I need to get Rainbow to change the string on the menu.
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

I also have an Abit LX6 that I would like to update and I notice that there is a bios (12/21/1999-i440LX-W977TF-2A69JA1AC-00) at http://wims.rainbow-software.org . Are there any issues with this bios and is it OK to use the awdflasher from Abit?
No known issues; it is a patched version of an evaluation Abit BIOS. If you find any issues please let us know. :wink: You should be able to use the Abit flasher.
rmdaber
BIOS Newbie

Did you check your email ? I sent you the "bp" version which has a different string:
Yep e-mail checked, file unzipped and bios flashed. Everything seems fine. All devices detected and working. :D

I'll try the LX6 update tomorrow.

The apple_rom site looks good..... pitty I can't read Russian! bp seems too good to be true! Run the program on most Award bios and it fixes the problem. It can't be that simple, I must be missing something :?:

Thanks for all your help.
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

The apple_rom site looks good..... pitty I can't read Russian! bp seems too good to be true! Run the program on most Award bios and it fixes the problem. It can't be that simple, I must be missing something
Yes, it's a very sophisticated patcher but, again, we've had reports of cases where it didn't work.
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

usually because not enough empty space left in the bios image after loading the patch modules.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
rmdaber
BIOS Newbie

I just thought I'd let you know that the LX-6 update went OK.

I've now tried both a Seagate 40GB (ST340810A) and a Western Digital 120GB (WD1200JB) on both the PX5 and LX6 and all combinations are recognised.

I've not yet formatted or loaded XP yet, this is because when I run HDD detect it seems to give odd parameters. Both the PX5 and LX6 give the same.

For the Seagte I get:

Code: Select all

[Opts]  [Size] [Cyls] [Heads] [Precomp] [LandZ] [Sect] [Mode]

[2(y)] [40018] [ 4865] [255]   [    0]  [19157] [ 63] [LBA   ]
[1   ] [40022] [19158] [ 16]   [65535]  [19157] [255] [NORMAL]
[3   ] [40012] [ 2394] [128]   [65535]  [19157] [255] [LARGE ]
Segate give parameters as:

Cyls: 16383, Hds: 16, Sect: 63, LBA 78,165,360

For the Western Digital I get:

Code: Select all

[Opts][Size] [Cyls] [Heads] [Precomp] [LandZ] [Sect] [Mode]

[2(y)] [120] [14593] [255]   [    0]  [57460] [ 63] [LBA   ]
[1   ] [120] [57461] [ 16]   [65535]  [57460] [255] [NORMAL]
[3   ] [120] [ 7182] [128]   [65535]  [57460] [255] [LARGE ]
Western Digital give parameters as:

Capacity: 120,034
Cyls: 16383, Hds: 16, Sect: 63, LBA 234,441,648

Why the differences?

I plan to leave the detect settings on AUTO. Will this be a problem and am I likely to need to use anything like Seagate's Disk Wizard to get things up and running?

Cheers.
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

Depending on the translation mode (lLBA/Large/Normal) they will juggle the Cylinders/Heads/Sectors/per track to fit in with the particular limitations. The drive itself has intelligence which re-maps the commands it gets to an internal LBA. If you look at the C/H/S values on the label they meet the lowest common denominator for each value and actually only multiply up to 8.4 GB. Use Auto; you should not need Disk Wizard