80 GB samsung drive not recognized with gigabyte 6ba board

BIOS update, EIDE card, or overlay software? (FAQ Hard disk recognition)
uzs7xf
New visitors - please read the rules.

I have the latest gigabyte bios (6ba f1) for my gigabyte 6ba motherboard installed. But my new samsung 80 GB harddrive is not recognized. Can anyone please supply a bios patch? Or can anyone help me solve this problem by other means? Thanks in advance!
Denniss
BIOS Guru

It should be recognized by the F1 Bios as senn on Gigabyte website (support 75GB HDD).

Verify all connections:
Does it get power ? Then it should spin up
cables OK ?
Master/Slave/CS jumpers OK ?
uzs7xf

I used the same jumper/cable/power configuration as for my old master harddrive (8,4 GB). Is 80 GB = 75 GB in terms of the gigabyte 6ba_f1 bios???

Or could the problem be that I have a slave harddrive (20 GB) at the same IDE port as the new 80 GB drive?
Denniss
BIOS Guru

Bios limitation of 4.51PG Bios are 32, 64 and 128GB. If support 75Gb HDD is stated then 64 to 128Gb are supported.

Please try to install the new drive without any other drive on this IDE cable. If it's working/detected by Bios then something with the cabling or jumpers is/was wrong.

Just to be sure: It's not like Bios detecting it but your operating system not ? This problem would be OS related and not a Bios problem.
uzs7xf

It really seems to be the bios that doesn't recognize my new Samsung 80GB harddrive. I disconnected my slave 20GB harddrive and jumpered the 80GB drive as master (as it is the case for the 8,4 GB master drive to be replaced).

I'm surprised that, if the board vendor states that 75GB HDD can be recognized, up to 128 GB should be recognized. Is this really true? Or must the drive have a capacity of EXACTLY 128GB?

Could it be that the new samsung 80GB drive is damaged??? I have no idea how to solve this problem!
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

Are you using a new 80-conductor IDE cable?

If the BIOS works with 75GB, it should work to 128GiB (137GB) as it supports the Int13H standard.

Update
Duplicate post, see here.
Thread locked.
Tested patched BIOSes. Untested patched BIOSes.
Emails *will* be ignored unless the subject line starts "Wim's BIOS forum"