Samsung Sata II 1TB HD103UJ not recognized!!!

BIOS update, EIDE card, or overlay software? (FAQ Hard disk recognition)
tsiliman
New visitors - please read the rules.

Guys... I am totally desperate.
After reading dozens of excellent reviews, I've decided to buy the Samsung HDD (Spinpoint series), F1, Sata II, 1TB, HD103UJ. But, after a hundred of efforts, I've realised that this disk, CAN NOT be configured, by any means, from my Acorp 7KM400QP (KM400A VIA VT8237) motherboard. Can anyone please help? As you may know, the Acorp company does not exist any more. The latest available BIOS file on the net is the v1.7.
When BIOS booting, the message I get, just before Windows boot, is: "HardWare Initiate failed, Please Check Device!!! The Bios does not be installed. Press <g> to continue!"

Please any help?
Denniss
BIOS Guru

With a VT8237 or 8237R southbridge you have to set your SATA HDD in the SATA-I operating mode or it will never be detected (Bug in this southbridge, remove with VT8237R+ or 8247A).

This operating mode change is either done via jumper on your HDD or with a firmware tool (hopefully) aailable from your HDD manufacturer.
tsiliman

Thanks Denniss. Unfortunatelly, I've tried both ways, but either brings any results. What is strange, although, is that the jumper settings on the HDD, are only two (there are only four pins instead of eight). My last hope was a new Bios update, but it seems that it doesn't exit.
Anyway, I thing I'll have to choose between a pci card, or an IDE to SATA adapter. Does anyone know which one of these two is better/faster. Either way, my HDD's speed is going to be sacrificed.

Thanks again!
tsiliman

Any ideas? Any one?
Denniss
BIOS Guru

According to Samsung forcing the SATA1 mode requires their software tool. You should search their sites to find it.
The other way would be to use an add-in PCI controller. Just don't buy the cheapest available, make sure your chice has it's own Bios.
alexb_008

Hi there!

I'm stuck on the same problem as yours. I have the same HDD as yours on an old Gigabyte 7vt880 motherboard. It cannot be recognized by the BIOS.
How did you manage to fix the problem?

Thanks in advance!

Alex
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...